Devastating chick loss

ksato003

Songster
Jun 5, 2021
I’m only sharing here because I’m so heartbroken and I know this community understands.

We lost our only 2.5 week old Welsummer chick today because of a fatal error that could have been totally avoided on my part. My toddler threw a book that landed in the back of the brooder (which was covered every day except today, when i moved them to a bigger brooder). in the blink of an eye and it killed a chick. She was stunned right away and instantly fell listless, barely breathing. We ended it for her since she was clearly had a broken neck but had labored breathing.

This was my fatal mistake and I completely failed this innocent chick who paid with her life today. I’m moving them out to the garage or guest because it’s the only place they’ll be toddler-safe but that comes with other concerns too, like temperature regulation, etc.

I have read stories on here of unexplained chick losses, predators and illnesses… I’ve done all my research to make sure their temperature is controlled, their bedding and brooder is clean, but this, this has to be the worst kind of chick death because it could have been completely avoided with a simple cover. I learned a very hard lesson today.

Last edited:
Accidents happen, but I'm glad you shared what happened so maybe some other chick owner won't have something similar occur (so many folks don't think to cover their brooders at all times).

My 5 year old Welsummer is actually the 3rd Welsummer we "started off" our flock with - the first was a male, the second died in an accident a few weeks after we moved them outside. She caught her toe in a gap between the coop and run, a gap I didn't think was a problem until it happened, and panicked to death. Obviously we fixed it right after, but it taught me to be a lot more careful about checking for gaps/spaces where chickens could get part of their body caught in.

Accidents happen, but I'm glad you shared what happened so maybe some other chick owner won't have something similar occur (so many folks don't think to cover their brooders at all times).

My 5 year old Welsummer is actually the 3rd Welsummer we "started off" our flock with - the first was a male, the second died in an accident a few weeks after we moved them outside. She caught her toe in a gap between the coop and run, a gap I didn't think was a problem until it happened, and panicked to death. Obviously we fixed it right after, but it taught me to be a lot more careful about checking for gaps/spaces where chickens could get part of their body caught in.
Thank you for sharing your experience. It helps me to know I’m not the only one who learned in an unfortunate way. It certainly makes you paranoid moving forward though! This is my first go with chickens and I really hope I can get this right with more experience.

Because you’re so sad it just shows how much you care. I’m sure you learned and will be a great chicken mama. :) I’m very sorry you had to watch a chick suffer that way, I know it’s very hard especially in babies like that. :hugs
Thanks for your kind words of support, I appreciate it. I’m going to do better!

Back
Top Bottom