Dewormer that can be added to food or water? (bloody poop)

Thankfully there are other vets around here that don't treat chickens, but will do fecals anyway!

So @SarahGfa I told you I'd be in the same boat, they're on their last day of treatment & still blood. Sending DH out to find some buttermilk today.

How are yours looking today after a couple days of probiotics? I did see in one of the articles @Eggcessive posted that they recommended treating with the antibiotic again 5 days later, at least I think that's what I read, I'll have to go back.
I have not seen any bloody droppings for the last 24 hours, but it comes and goes so I am still keeping an eye on them. I could not find buttermilk either (everyone is making eggnog?) but I found a can of buttermilk powder at walmart.

It's time to worm them. Sometimes worms can cause sloughing of intestinal lining and there may be blood, capillary worms can be the cause. You'll have to worm each bird orally with Safeguard liquid goat wormer for 5 days straight.
Putting it in water is ineffective.
Then if they continue to show blood in feces after worming, it's time to contact your local extension office or department of agriculture and find out how to go about sending off your "sickest/bloodiest" bird for necropsy.

I'm finding bloody poops again. How about you?
They haven't really completely gone away! But yesterday didn't look too bad. That was day 2 of buttermilk. Haven't been out yet today, it' still dark. But I'm out of buttermilk so they will get vits/electrolytes/probiotics mixed in a mash today & tomorrow.

I know mine don't have worms, I'm glad I got the fecal. But I really don't know what's happening! How can it be this long? & no offense but I'm glad I have you & your birds in the same boat otherwise I might think I was losing my mind!

Last edited:
It's time to worm them. Sometimes worms can cause sloughing of intestinal lining and there may be blood, capillary worms can be the cause. You'll have to worm each bird orally with Safeguard liquid goat wormer for 5 days straight.
Putting it in water is ineffective.
Then if they continue to show blood in feces after worming, it's time to contact your local extension office or department of agriculture and find out how to go about sending off your "sickest/bloodiest" bird for necropsy.
Will Safeguard fenbendazole pelleted feed work?
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/prairie-pride-safe-guard-pellets-5-lb

I've never used the Safeguard pellets. I dont know if birds will eat it or if birds eat enough of it to be effective. Sick birds eat very little or not at all.
They are eating and drinking well, and no one seems to be a runt. If anyone looked sick I could euthanize and mail in for necropsy, but no one looks bad :idunno .

Hey @SarahGfa - not sure if it's any good (didn't read the reviews), or if it would even work with the timing, but I saw this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J5SOZ4/?tag=backy-20
Thank you, I will skip it this time but it is good to have that option.

i put corid in the water again yesterday, just to see if it would help. Well 24 hours later all the poop is blood-free and normal. Maybe they did not get immunity the first time, or they have a really stubborn strain of cocci. Today they have been fighting nonstop, all day long. If they are feeling good enough to fight, they probably don't have worms. I am pretty sure I got 5 out of 5 males, I should go play the lottery :th

Are your chicks better now?

Wow, 5 out of 5!! :eek:

Mine have had good poops for 3/4 mornings now! Today is their first day back on regular water/feed. :fl

I sure do hope the Corid works for you this time around.

Back
Top Bottom