Deworming and Delousing

chanty

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 29, 2011
Is it essential to deworm/delouse chickens for the winter...I am up North and will have the chickens in from November through April. If so is there something nontoxic/non-chemical to use?

You can use food grade DE, Diatomaceous Earth, I got mine at Tractor Supply. You can mix it in their feed it will keep them from getting parisites and worms or if they have them it will take care of them. I use the deep litter method and use pine shavings so once a month I sprinkle some that I put in an empty parmasean cheese shaker and sprinkle it in the coop and mix it in. I also put a little in their nesting boxes and mix it in the shavings. I do not use straw as I read that red mites love the stuff. I have a shallow plastic tub under their coop with sand, a little dry dirt and some DE and they will dust themselves in it, it will keep parasites off of them, If they have made their own dusting spots outside you could sprinkle a little in those as well. Since I am down south I am not sure about your area. Here is a link about DE and how much

http://www.shadowridgedonkeys.com/perma_food_grade.htm

hope this helps

I also use DE food grade, I think that going with the DE is the best!!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom