How do you deworm chickens

Zierwa

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2023
What is best used to deworm chickens, is there a natural way? Can eggs still be eaten when deworming? I only have 2 and am fairly new to the fluffy butt world.

What is your location? In the US, I would use Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and repeat that in 10 days for a standard size chicken. Or you can use SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 consecutive days. Natural worm methods are not effective. Both of the ones above are very safe.

Can you find some natural pellets for deworming...?
In my country, La Ferme de Beaumont is selling some : they call them "GranuVert". 100% natural, so we can eat the eggs...

...I had some worm problems in the past.
And I could get rid of the worms in my chickens by putting Apple Cider Vinegar in their water. But be careful to use a PLASTIC waterer : do NOT use metal!!

Otherwise, since then... I just put food grade Diatomaceous Earth in some of their food (specifically in the food I put in plastic feeders).
They can eat it when they want to in addition of their food in metal feeders (where I don't put food grade Diatomaceous Earth), and I have not EVER had worm problems since I am doing that.
That's natural, so you eat the eggs...

Can you still eat their eggs while applying the above dewormers?
Both Valbazen and Safeguard are benzimidazoles. Once administered orally, little is absorbed in the bloodstream via digestive tract and mostly excreted.
There is minute residue in the eggs. We eat the eggs, I'm still here typing. If you suspect that you or someone else might have a reaction to the residue in the eggs, toss them in the garbage 14 days after the last dosing. Do not give the eggs to your chickens to eat.

@dawg53 :

Yeah... some people say that. And some don't...

Facts are :
- when I give "GranuVert" pellets to my chickens, my chickens don't have any worm for the next several months,
- when I notice my chickens have worms and I put Apple Cider Vinegar in their waterer, I find worms in their droppings the next morning,
- since I have been giving food grade Diatomaceous Earth to my chickens, never again have they had worms...

For me, these always work...

And they are natural solutions. We can eat the eggs, so no complain! (In addition, food grade Diatomaceous Earth are great for the eggshell!)
(Although, concerning "GranuVert" pellets : they are relatively expensive... so not always an option. And I don't even know if they can be used like a worms treatment : I just used them in preventive...)

@Wyorp Rock :

"GranuVert" pellets
are made and sold by La Ferme de Beaumont.
Here is the link of the product : https://www.fermedebeaumont.com/gra...ur-canards-supplements-basse-cour-p12914.html

GranuVert, 5 kg :

DSC09047.JPG

The pellets are brown and thin :

DSC09048.JPG

"GranuVert" pellets are made for all poultry, waterflow, and rabbits.
They are intended to correct intestinal hygiene problems conducive to the installation of internal parasites, and are to be given 3 to 4 times a year, for three days in a row. (5 grams per day and per subject.)

I don't know if La Ferme de Beaumont can send packages to the USA, but you can just ask them.

Send them an email, and ask. Do not forget to ask about the shipping fees!

Or you can also create an account, and :
1 - add the products you would want to buy in the cart,
2 - go to your cart ("MON PANIER"),
3 - click on "VALIDER MA COMMANDE",
4 - provide your contact details,
5 - (if I'm remembering right, you can ask for an estimated shipping fees - they would use the word "DEVIS", so "DEMANDER UN DEVIS" or something...)

Back
Top Bottom