Diabetic dog.

jtbrown

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Southeastern Ohio
We have had pet troubles lately. One cat helplessly up a tree, a second cat hates me (never had a cat hate me, she came from a family with many kids and she loves kids, hates adults) and she ended up with a UTI because our 12 year old lab mix drank all of the animal water as she was becoming diabetic and we didn't catch it quick enough. What I mean is we didn't realize she was gorging on water and not sharing. We are lucky the other dog and cat didn't have trouble. Hate me cat won't let us catch her to get to vet and dog Nikki lab mix dog has just had 3rd dose of insulin ever tonight. Insulin easy to give but vet said she was borderline dka and I think she is getting worse. Sugar was over 600 2 days ago. Poor dog, we got her within a month of getting married, then had kids 6 years later. She is best dog ever. Up until last week took her morning run for 1/2 every day.

We have given her great life and will do what we can for her, but I think she is fading. Just rambling a bit . . . This will crush our boys.

Last edited:
We had a diabetic dog that lived for years. Every night my dad would do his shot (Daddy's diabetic too) and then he would give Scruffy her shot and a piece of wienie as a treat. She sat very stoically and was fine with it all. She lived to be 13 years old. She was a great dog.

I am so sorry about your dog. Our last dog had diabetes also however it was advanced before we noticed it (he still had a very good apetite, didn't pee where we could observe him etc.)Unfortunately even after giving him insulin he passed on within 2 weeks. If you diagnosed it early she can still live a good full life. Our last dog was 11 at the time... Sending you and her my best wishes
hugs.gif

Thanks, right now she is eating purina dry dog food. Her sugar was in 600s on Tuesday, in low 400s today, so we increased insulin like vet told us to. She is drinking but not crazy like she was and is starting to perk up some. We feel bad we missed it earlier, but we did. She is inside dog, but has been hanging out on porch (covered an gated) the last few days and appears happy. I am going to do some research and see if another diet more appropriate. She looks so old, but those eyes are still the eyes of our baby dog, and she is very calm as always, such a gentle dog. Thanks.

Our beagle was diabetic... He lived for many years on 2 shots of insulin daily. He had to be on science diet (prescribed by the vet), I believe it was r/d formula for weight management. It worked though, he lost weight and it was such a good formula we were able to increase his daily ration for maintenance. Helped control his blood sugar pretty well feeding him 2x daily. Good luck to you and your doggie!

Sorry to hear about your dog.

Since you are researching diets, may I suggest a couple of links? Since starting this diet with mine, my epileptic dog's seizures have decreased dramatically. Something to do with a low carb diet. Dogs do not need carbs, although some can handle it, a lot can not. There are also some really good premium kibbles, just check for corn, wheat and other grains - dogs are not cows, they do not need grains.

http://leerburg.com/feedingdogs.htm

http://www.rawfeddogs.net/

I wish you all the best - good luck!

I will check into it, you know our dog isn't even heavy, not even before weight loss from this mess. We've never been ones to feed leftovers to the animals, she gets her rations 2 times daily. We buy a box of treats, they get them for a few days, then we forget about treats and box sits there for a LONG time til we toss it. They get daily (2x) runs or more where they come back panting like crazy from sprinting all over the property. Our other dog is a corgi, due to his stature I was very worried when we adopted him, I didn't want to over feed him because his frame wouldn't be able to handle it. I will definitely look into it. Our girl and my family appreciate the input.

I would definitely suggest a better food. All those grains are probably turning strait to sugar. Maybe try a grain free food, we love TOTW. It is one of the most affordable grain free foods available, I found it at a local feed store for $32. The best thing for your pup would definitely be raw though. You might think it sounds like too much, but I bet you would see AMAZING results in her over all health. She can't be healthy on junk food anymore than you or I. Good luck with you dog, I hope everything turns out okay!
smile.png

Last edited:
I am a die hard raw advocate. I would definitely suggest it for this dog. Even the grain free foods have starches in them because you have to have a starch for a binder. So while it may. Be grain free, they use potatoes, peas and tapioca instead. If you want to join a yahoogroup for mentoring on how to best handle this dog on raw, you can join mine - rawk9s I can't post the link from my phone, but if you (or anyone else) want to join, send me your email address and I can add you to the group.

Back
Top Bottom