Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, they have been eating a "Flock Raiser" feed since they were 2 weeks old and they are now just over 4 weeks. I'll try to get some brewers yeast. Thanks!

It is interesting that he has been on flock raiser and still is having problems. Poor duckie. Hopefully the niacin will kick in.

Glad to hear loosey goosey is doing well.

Creams Ointments Tinctures and stuff.

Topical medications and over-the-counter products can be formulated in different ways. You have probably seen the words cream, lotion and ointment, and never gave a thought as to what might be the difference among them. These terms are actually defined differently and can make a difference when you apply the medication. I encourage you all to do your own research and make your own informed decisions when treating not only your chickens, but yourself.

Creams are a semi-solid emulsion, half oil and half water. This formulation is typically the easiest to use. They spread easily, absorb quickly and wash off with water.

Ointments are 80% oil and 20% water. These products feel greasy, do not absorb well and are generally not easy to use on large areas. They are ‘occlusive,’ which means they trap moisture and heat in very well. Ointments promote medication absorption over all other formulations. If an ingredient is in an ointment, it is always more potent than the exact same ingredient packaged in a cream or lotion.

Gels are emulsions that contain oil-in-water. They usually have an alcohol base. They dry into a thin, greaseless, nonstaining film. Like lotions and foams, they are ideal for spreading on hairy areas and large areas.

A tincture is a skin preparation that has a high percentage of alcohol. It would normally be used as a drug vehicle if drying of the area is desired.

Neosporin (or triple antibiotic ointments) are indicated for topical use. Topical means external. The membranes on inside of an egg are not external while they are still receiving blood supply from the chick. These membranes, as we know, have veins that you can see but also millions of tiny vessels that you cans see – they were the organ that was used by the chick for 21 days to get oxygen to their body. Now as the vessels spasm down and shut off, the dangers of Neomycin toxicity diminish. When it comes to slathering Neosporin onto vascular membranes of an egg, use caution. The smallest amount necessary should be used. Absorbing a large amount of this medication into the body can increase the risk of damage to the ears or kidneys due to neomycin.

Betadine antiseptic solution contains 10% povidone-iodine and is the foremost documented, broad spectrum topical iodophor microbide. It is used in hospitals to clean wounds but not really as a dressing or sustaining anti microbial treatment. If the intent is to keep the skin wound moist, we use an ointment like Neosporin. If the intent is to aid in drying a wound, we more often use a tincture.

Drying creates a scab faster. The scab is a cap under which the wound heals. This dried surface is way less prone to an infection than a moist ointment filled environment – even if the ointment is antimicrobial. For belly buttons or umbilicus, tincture of iodine is normally used.

Thanks Oz! That is extremely helpful.

I was originally worried about applying the triple antibiotic ointment to the active blood vessels (the gosling hadn't even internally pipped) and it looks like I should have been. I'm glad my gosling made it safely and I will avoid putting in on so early in future situations.

Do you have a recommendation on which is the best for applying to membranes? I'm thinking it may be ointments, but not the ones with neosporin.

Last edited:
Thanks Oz! That is extremely helpful.

I was originally worried about applying the triple antibiotic ointment to the active blood vessels (the gosling hadn't even internally pipped) and it looks like I should have been. I'm glad my gosling made it safely and I will avoid putting in on so early in future situations.

Do you have a recommendation on which is the best for applying to membranes? I'm thinking it may be ointments, but not the ones with neosporin.
if you can get one call bacitracin ointment, it would be ideal.

I honestly dont think you put your goose at risk. you are very diligent and would only use minimal.

I brought this up because people think neosporin is a cure-all. Over the counter medications can be just as dangerous as prescription. They need to be used as directed and sparingly.

The saddest death I ever had in a hospital was a 20 year old girl who popped 2 tylenol every half hour because her menstrual cramps would not stop. By the time she had taken 20 pills she thought she better tell someone. It was too late. Her liver was beyond saving and she died in front of me 10 days later.

if you can get one call bacitracin ointment, it would be ideal.

I honestly dont think you put your goose at risk. you are very diligent and would only use minimal.

I brought this up because people think neosporin is a cure-all. Over the counter medications can be just as dangerous as prescription. They need to be used as directed and sparingly.

The saddest death I ever had in a hospital was a 20 year old girl who popped 2 tylenol every half hour because her menstrual cramps would not stop. By the time she had taken 20 pills she thought she better tell someone. It was too late. Her liver was beyond saving and she died in front of me 10 days later.

I found the bacitracin right after I posted. I'll try to find it next time I'm in town.

I understand what you mean about poeple overdosing on over the counter medications. I've seen multiple stories on the news similar to that. It's very sad when things like that happen..

will neosporin be ok help keep the membrane from drying out??
Yep, it works! Just had to use it x3 this afternoon.

Sally, seriously great article about assisted hatching! Was scanning it really fast as my internet started to get spotty (storms/serious clouds throws the internet airwaves out of whack) so your pic weren't loading up but the texts were. It was clear and concise! I've got 3 that pipped internally - first one I had figured out because I kept hearing faint chirping but thought it was outside birds. The other 2 were candled and saw the beaks in the air cells and very very faint chirps. So all 3 are wrapped in a wet nap in the incubator and throwing out very loud chirps here or there. Hopefully they'll be totally out of the shells in the AMs. Can't wait to see them!! Here's
fl.gif
for the other 4.

Neosporin (or triple antibiotic ointments) are indicated for topical use. Topical means external. The membranes on inside of an egg are not external while they are still receiving blood supply from the chick. These membranes, as we know, have veins that you can see but also millions of tiny vessels that you cans see – they were the organ that was used by the chick for 21 days to get oxygen to their body. Now as the vessels spasm down and shut off, the dangers of Neomycin toxicity diminish. When it comes to slathering Neosporin onto vascular membranes of an egg, use caution. The smallest amount necessary should be used. Absorbing a large amount of this medication into the body can increase the risk of damage to the ears or kidneys due to neomycin.
Interesting.... why the ears?

I dont ask a lot of questions as I tend to do my own research but here goes:

When using FF how many times a day do you feed your birds?

Do you offer dry feed free choice as well?
I only feed once a day but I give about 1.5 Gallon to 11 LF hens in the morning and by the time I lockum up its gone. After a month of FF I took all dry feed away because they didnt touch it anymore. Any bird under 3 months of age should always have feed available though. I may have to change this the summer heat, not sure if I will have a bug/fly issue but last time I checked my girls loved bugs
lau.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom