Did you see the Octagon on sale for $99?

Quote:
One degree is ALOT while incubating. It is best to have a thermometer that measures in tenths of a degree, really.

frow.gif
What temp works best for you? My last hatches that were never very good were at 99.5. This hatch, it is right between 100 and 100.1. I am hoping for a better hatch rate this time.

Quote:
One degree is ALOT while incubating. It is best to have a thermometer that measures in tenths of a degree, really.

frow.gif
What temp works best for you? My last hatches that were never very good were at 99.5. This hatch, it is right between 100 and 100.1. I am hoping for a better hatch rate this time.

99.5 for me. I have a cabinet incubator that I incubate in. I dunno if that makes a difference. I also keep my tabletop bators (for hatching) on 99.5 and seem to do well.

Quote:
I just bought one! I bought the octagon 20 EX about a month ago and had 18 of 21 of my cochin babies hatch! The other 3 died trying to hatch, so it developed 100% of the chicks! Very pleased with it, but it was kind of expensive to only incubate 24 eggs! So, I got this one to use as a hatcher. To be honest, the humidity pump on the EX doesn't do a great job when it comes to raising the humidity for hatch. I still had to fill the troughs in the incubator and put extra sponges in the bottom to raise the humidity where I wanted it. So, as far as that goes, the pump didn't really help me at lockdown.

I found this code on another thread: MAOC2010. Saves you a little!

yep enablers! DH said I could never buy an incubator. But, right after I read this thread, my wonderful mommy text me from her new home in MT (she feels bad she left me even tho I"m well grown and married 11 yrs lol!) asking what I want for x-mas. well, gee golly, an incubator I replied. Just ordered the 20 eco and turner tonight! take that dh! you may go have your weekly bar nite with the guys and oogle chicks like most men do but I'll have dozens of my own cute chicks to watch! lol

LOL.. The only chicks I like to look at is my DW and my 11 eggs in my BRAND NEW OCT 20 ECO, my 4 seramas, and my 8 standards... That's all the chicks that I could ever even think about handleing! It seems my Midlife Crisis included a new incubator, 2 new coops (and not Deville), and a converted rabbit cage!

Last edited:
Quote:
Go to Petco or Petsmart and in the reptile section you can get a pair of thermometer and hygrometer for $11. The one that the bator comes with is near impossible to read.

Thanks for the heads up.. I will go buy one
smile.png

The ones I got have sticky backs so Icould mount them in the bator. Ackward placing, but it works.

I got the Octagon 20 for the $99.00 as well. It has a little water hole on the top lid with a couple water drops next to it but how do you put water in such a small hole or is that made to add the humidity pump that you have to buy extra?

Back
Top Bottom