Difference between Heritage and Standard

Define standard? If you mean common hatchery birds, yes, most definitely a difference. Heritage and Show birds alike are far more productive in terms of meat, since they're almost always bigger and fleshier.

Quote:
I say good luck on getting a straight enough answer for your ques.

Sorry for jumping all up in arms there. I had stated in my last post but deleted it that we have managed to ruin the posters inquisition, and I'd behave myself more appropriately.
smile.png

Glad you re-asked the original question
smile.png

I guess to get a more straight-foward answer maybe you could be a little more direct as in what you are comparing, Standard(what) to Heritage(what)? IDK

Jeff

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes like Illia stated some kinda clue as to what your asking about

Jeff

And I do agree with Illia on the non-hatchery types will mostly always be bigger bodied/ more fleshy than egg production type(hatchery) birds.

However, one big thing to consider - Heritage also refers to a breed recognized by the APA before the 50's or 60's. In asking if they're better than the latter, no.

French Marans for example aren't yet fully accepted and on their listing, but they're a super good dual purpose meat bird. Some strains can get you adult males of over 10 lbs.

I'll try to be a bit more specific and clarify my intentions. I DO appreciate everyones informative input. I want to start a flock and at this time I live in the city...Reno NV. I plan to move to some acreage in about a year or so and will expand my flock then. For now I'm going to order 6 RIR's and 6 BR's because they're great dual purpose birds and are winter hearty. I'm interested in egg production initially but when I move I'll be raising some for the freezer. All things considered, should I order Standard, Heritage, or Production day-olds?

I wasn't aware there was a choice.
idunno.gif

When ordering from a hatchery, you just get one choice - Production bred chickens. They're considered standard or whatever, but they're production bred. They're a heritage breed yes but not fitting to the heritage definition because of their parentage, size, shape, etc.

With that in mind if you want a good dual purpose breed I suggest you get hatching eggs from a Heritage breeder. I don't know anyone who ships day-old heritage Barred Rock chicks, however I do know someone who ships heritage RIR chicks.

Oh and some good advice - You want really winter hardy? Go for a breed with a different comb and better body, like Wyandottes, Buckeyes, or Chanteclers.
smile.png

Quote:
Do you really need 'winter-hardy' birds? I know nothing about the weather in Reno.

Do you understand what Illia is saying? If you order from a typical hatchery (there are exceptions and I'll be glad to give them to you if you like) the birds are going to be below standard weight. All typical hatchery birds are bred for egg production regardless of the name of the breed.

I apologize for getting off track. I just have very strong opinions about recently created breeds.

Quote:
I was attempting to answer your question as I understood it to be.

Absolutely, if you order from a hatchery you'll get only production quality birds, like Saladin and Illa said. They may be be of a "standard" or "heritage" breed, but they'll not be "Standard" quality. "Heritage" refers only to the breed in this case, not the quality of bird. There are "standard" breeds and there is "standard" quality of breed. Yes, it gets confusing, because there is "standard" quality and there are "standard" breeds. And the terms Heritage and Standard are often used for both.

But if you're ordering from a hatchery, you'll get production quality birds no matter the breed. If you get them from a breeder, you'll get standard quality, be it a heritage breed or not.

Hopefully I've been able to shine a little more light on a confusing subject.

So: If you mean, "Should I order a Standard breed from a hatchery or a production breed from a hatchery," the answer is, since your main goal is eggs, get a production breed.

For a bird with a bit more meat on it in the end, and a few less eggs, go with a "heritage" or "standard" breed from the hatchery such as a barred rock.

If you want a true dual purpose bird, choose your breed and find a breeder.

Also consider that for meat, it is the weight and flesh that you want @ 14-16 wks, not when they are a year old. Some of the hatchery strains mature and flesh out pretty quick. I do think that if you get a good strain of an all round dual purpouse breed, that you would be better off when you move out there.

Back
Top Bottom