Diffrent eye color- not emergency!

This is not Marek desease, because this bird is over 4 month and she had never paralised legs or never any problems.
You are misinformed if you believe that. The commonest age for them to exhibit symptoms of Marek's is during adolescence, so 15-30 weeks, but it can occur as young as 3 weeks (very unusual) or in any age adult bird. I have had 8 week old chicks get it and a 5 year old hen had an outbreak of it in my flock earlier this year. Also, many do not get paralysed legs. There are several forms of Marek's Disease and one of them is Ocular Marek's where an eye goes grey or the pupil becomes dilated or misshaped. There is also a cutaneous form where birds get skin lesions and a visceral form where tumours develop on internal organs and that can cause sudden death with no apparent symptom at all.
I am not saying that your bird does have Marek's but it is a possible explanation for what you are seeing and since your bird is adolescent and the disease is incredibly common, it should not be discounted.
My Marek's birds often appear healthy, with bright eyes and a keen appetite at least until they succumb to the more serious symptoms of the disease..... that can be weeks, months or even years after the initial onset of symptoms. Paralysis can be as mild as being unable to keep one eyelid fully open or as severe as a bird floundering on it's side unable to get up with it's legs stretched in opposite direction and it's neck twisted.
It is a horrible disease and I can understand you not wanting to consider it, but it is important to know the facts and not rule it out because you are not fully informed.

Nice chicken! It could be a genetic defect. If the bird starts showing symptoms, get some of the people on the site to help you.

Yes i have
Oh she's pretty. I expected her to be blue and thought it was a type of Faverolle I haven't seen before. We just call the, salmon faverolles. I have some too!
82.jpg

The smaller size and odd eye colour would concern me that it could have Marek's disease.

I'm not sure why you are so sensitive about feed discussion. I'm not saying it has anything to do with this chicken's problem but a balanced diet is really important for a chicken.... eating in a restaurant does not mean healthy eating. A formulated feed is the best option for chickens, not being given a choice of foods and expecting them to make healthy choices, just like we don't always select the healthy items on a menu.
The feeding is important. But, do i have to every time to explain to you. Ok, i tell you- i have 2 dogs and 15 chickens. Also wild birds- we feed thems all over to winter. Do you imagen that we have also foxis. Our chickens are
You are misinformed if you believe that. The commonest age for them to exhibit symptoms of Marek's is during adolescence, so 15-30 weeks, but it can occur as young as 3 weeks (very unusual) or in any age adult bird. I have had 8 week old chicks get it and a 5 year old hen had an outbreak of it in my flock earlier this year. Also, many do not get paralysed legs. There are several forms of Marek's Disease and one of them is Ocular Marek's where an eye goes grey or the pupil becomes dilated or misshaped. There is also a cutaneous form where birds get skin lesions and a visceral form where tumours develop on internal organs and that can cause sudden death with no apparent symptom at all.
I am not saying that your bird does have Marek's but it is a possible explanation for what you are seeing and since your bird is adolescent and the disease is incredibly common, it should not be discounted.
My Marek's birds often appear healthy, with bright eyes and a keen appetite at least until they succumb to the more serious symptoms of the disease..... that can be weeks, months or even years after the initial onset of symptoms. Paralysis can be as mild as being unable to keep one eyelid fully open or as severe as a bird floundering on it's side unable to get up with it's legs stretched in opposite direction and it's neck twisted.
It is a horrible disease and I can understand you not wanting to consider it, but it is important to know the facts and not rule it out because you are not fully informed.
Ok, do you have any .....other chickens? Because, this ... I dont have even
Hi, I had couple a days to think (also i asked to translate your respond)
Thank you!
How you know that your birds have Marek? Did you sent some sample to the laboratory? I called once to my VTA and they explained to me, that if i need answers, i have to sent dead frozen bird. At that time my flock has so called respiratory disease. My dog had kennel cough, i went to the vet.doctor and he got antibiotics. But the cough continued. We went second time to vet. I was very worried, because he eats chicken poop. I have conversation with doctor and she told to me, let the chickens deal themselves with respiratory deseases. So no longer ab-s, otherwise they are soon walking mummys.
In my case, i am not kill my rare faverolle. I have time to watch them until spring. If my flock has symptoms, no bird or hatched egg not leave from my flock.
I was very shocked to hear Mareks disease. Now i feel, that my chickens have the hole world diseases. I didnt imagine, that raising chickens will be so hard.
I am not blaiming anyone specifically, but i got a lot of incorrect information when i took my first chickens.
There is no winter safe breeds.
I have 5 cemanis and i notice Greenfire farm information- they lay 60-100 eggs per year. Also they are non-broody breed. Yes, they are broody! And i get 60 eggs in two weeks.
If you start raise chickens you need a coop. No, you need 2 coops, because if you have sick bird or new ones, you have to separate them.
Also makes me wonder- if chicken sneez- she has respiratory disease. And Tylan, tylan and tylan. In my country (and several other EU countrys) you cant use Tylosin in laying chickens.
So this is a very cruel business. When you buy chicks or hatched eggs, be ready- you get several diseasis to your backyard and also your other pets are in danger. And there is no symptoms. This is shocking! And i have no choice- i cant stop this, they have now Marek disease (without any symptoms, only this diffrent eye color) or i have to kill my investment. Where this world is going?

Hi again
I think we may be losing some understanding in the translation process and not all of your message is clear, but yes a necropsy identified Marek's in my birds. I agree with you as regards antibiotics. I am in the UK where antibiotics are not freely available without a veterinary visit. I do not use them on my chickens although I have had respiratory issues (Infectious Bronchitis I believe) go through my flock and the chickens survived without treatment other than supportive care. I also don't routinely worm my chickens. I prefer to get faecal samples checked and only treat if necessary. I butcher my surplus cockerels and check their intestines for worms too as well as any birds that die from Marek's. I therefore rarely if ever medicate my chickens, even my Marek's birds.
I am not saying your bird definitely has Marek's but just that it is possible cause for the change of eye colour and it being smaller than the other one. There is certainly no reason to cull your flock or even this bird but just to be aware of the disease and vigilant for any other symptoms and if they don't free range then perhaps provide a good quality poultry vitamin supplement a couple of times a week to support her immune system in case it is Marek's. I'm not sure if you have the same products as we do here in the UK but Nettex Nutri Drops are very good.

I wish you luck with her.

Regards

Barbara

Also, if in my flock has Marek disease (2 months, when this new chick arrive), why chicken start laying eggs and they are very productive. My Cemanis start laying 1 month ago (21 weeks old) Today i got first egg from my older favorelle (third one) Only araucana and brahma still discussing but they are very intrested about nestboxes. My sulmtaler gives me every day an egg. All my chicken breeds produce more eggs than this breed should produce.

Hi again
I think we may be losing some understanding in the translation process and not all of your message is clear, but yes a necropsy identified Marek's in my birds. I agree with you as regards antibiotics. I am in the UK where antibiotics are not freely available without a veterinary visit. I do not use them on my chickens although I have had respiratory issues (Infectious Bronchitis I believe) go through my flock and the chickens survived without treatment other than supportive care. I also don't routinely worm my chickens. I prefer to get faecal samples checked and only treat if necessary. I butcher my surplus cockerels and check their intestines for worms too as well as any birds that die from Marek's. I therefore rarely if ever medicate my chickens, even my Marek's birds.
I am not saying your bird definitely has Marek's but just that it is possible cause for the change of eye colour and it being smaller than the other one. There is certainly no reason to cull your flock or even this bird but just to be aware of the disease and vigilant for any other symptoms and if they don't free range then perhaps provide a good quality poultry vitamin supplement a couple of times a week to support her immune system in case it is Marek's. I'm not sure if you have the same products as we do here in the UK but Nettex Nutri Drops are very good.

I wish you luck with her.

Regards

Barbara

Hi again
Hi, the eye color did not change. She game to me with both blue eyes- i call them baby eyes. One eye is developed now (like older faverolle has- yellow black) other eye is still blue-gray. She is smaller than her sister, but if i compaire to other birds (i have cemanis and they are smaller breed, good to compaire) she grows all the time.

I wish you luck with her

Regards

Barbara

My wheaten amaeruacanas have eyes like that all the time, their final colour ended up being very red/orange eyes which is the desired colour in ameraucanas. I have a good feeling they'll turn into a fierce red/orange once they fully mature. Just my 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom