Dirt floor coop vs raised wood floor coop

Dirt Floor or Raised Wood Floor Coop

• Total voters
That's a great question.
If I had the option to start over from scratch, I would probably go with a dirt floor as I use DLM and I think a dirt floor would be awesome for that.
As it is, I break up a few shovel fulls of soil and sprinkle that into my DLM to get some extra microbes going in the pile.

That's a great question.
If I had the option to start over from scratch, I would probably go with a dirt floor as I use DLM and I think a dirt floor would be awesome for that.
As it is, I break up a few shovel fulls of soil and sprinkle that into my DLM to get some extra microbes going in the pile.

I have 2 small raised coops right now. (I only have 6 birds). But I am going to build one large coop and I am trying to decide if I should go raised or just dirt floor and do the DLM.

I have 2 small raised coops right now. (I only have 6 birds). But I am going to build one large coop and I am trying to decide if I should go raised or just dirt floor and do the DLM.

Well... you've got my vote!
Obviously, when you build your base, you need to select pressure treated wood that is rated for ground contact. Make sure you read the tag stapled to the end of the lumber. I'd make the base out of PT 4x4s.
And obviously make sure the whole shebang is elevated and level all the way around so you don't run into water pooling inside like some other people have had to deal with.

Well... you've got my vote!
Obviously, when you build your base, you need to select pressure treated wood that is rated for ground contact. Make sure you read the tag stapled to the end of the lumber. I'd make the base out of PT 4x4s.
And obviously make sure the whole shebang is elevated and level all the way around so you don't run into water pooling inside like some other people have had to deal with.

You are talking about for a raised coop?

Well I've only had dirt floors but I never felt the need to change it , it works so well! It's natural for them, speaks to their instincts, they love it so much they chose the corners for their nests and they just dig a comfy dirt nest to sit in, they use the part of the coop that isn't where the roosts are to dirt bathe in too sometimes, when it's rained and the run is wet.

I can just take my mini rake and then shovel the droppings out, and when i feel it needs more freshness, i dump some new dirt in and walah! Fresh coop floor :thumbsup

Well I've only had dirt floors but I never felt the need to change it , it works so well! It's natural for them, speaks to their instincts, they love it so much they chose the corners for their nests and they just dig a comfy dirt nest to sit in, they use the part of the coop that isn't where the roosts are to dirt bathe in too sometimes, when it's rained and the run is wet.

I can just take my mini rake and then shovel the droppings out, and when i feel it needs more freshness, i dump some new dirt in and walah! Fresh coop floor :thumbsup

I am wondering if it would be cheaper for me to take one end of my 8x20 run and turn it into a 4x8 coop with a dirt floor. Two sides of my run are enclosed and it has a roof. So I would only have to enclose 2 sides.

You are talking about for a raised coop?
Nope. For a coop built directly on the ground.
But I like your idea of converting part of the run into your new coop.
As long as it doesn't have any water puddling in it ever, you should be good.
Attach a 2' HC predator apron around it and you should be good.

Nope. For a coop built directly on the ground.
But I like your idea of converting part of the run into your new coop.
As long as it doesn't have any water puddling in it ever, you should be good.
Attach a 2' HC predator apron around it and you should be good.

Nope, it stays mostly dry except for rain that blows in from the open sides. The one end does get rain inside it a lil, but that is just because I don't have the roof over hanging as much on that end, but that would be an easy fix.

Back
Top Bottom