Dirty bottoms

tlagnhoj

Songster
13 Years
Apr 9, 2010
Indy
That's as delicate as I could be :)

I noticed this afternoon that t least two of my hens have a nasty accumulation of poop dried to their feathers. It is not blocking the vent, but it looks awful and probably isn't all that sanitary. Is there a best way to clean it up? I realize it could be due to their diet, but I don't know what the critical factor would be? Too much of something? Not enough? Fillers in the commercial feed? I use Dumor (I think that's the brand name) crumbles for layers. They have access to clean water all day.

I have one hen that's chronic with it, her fluff is longer than the rest and I think that's "catching" it on the way out. So I trimmed her fluff. Made it worse.

We are now committed to butt washing every 2 weeks or so until those feathers fall out and grow back.

I bring her to a sink, spray her tush, lather in dish soap, work in it, pull off the chunk, rinse, air dry. We only do it weather permitting, warmer than 60. She stands there like a champ, as if she likes the relief afterwards or something. Don't even have to restrain her.

Then I bleach the heck out of that sink. I tried to yank a feather out, to see if I could just pluck the excess. That was a resounding NO from the chicken.

I have one hen that's chronic with it, her fluff is longer than the rest and I think that's "catching" it on the way out. So I trimmed her fluff. Made it worse.

We are now committed to butt washing every 2 weeks or so until those feathers fall out and grow back.

I bring her to a sink, spray her tush, lather in dish soap, work in it, pull off the chunk, rinse, air dry. We only do it weather permitting, warmer than 60. She stands there like a champ, as if she likes the relief afterwards or something. Don't even have to restrain her.

Then I bleach the heck out of that sink. I tried to yank a feather out, to see if I could just pluck the excess. That was a resounding NO from the chicken.
Just regular dish soap?

I have a stand-up shower where we wash the dog. I'd probably just use that. Still the whole idea of bringing them into the house makes me ill. I just *know* one is going to poop on the carpet (and my arm) on the way in. :)

Yep, regular dish doap, lavender scented. I checked for a skin irritation after the first time, nothing.

Don't worry, it'll be gross.
lol.png

Just wear gloves. Bathtub comes to mind if you don't have a scrub sink. Have fun!

Or, you could wash outside. Use an immersion heater (at a horse store or catalog), heat up a big tub of water (assuming you don't have hot water near the coop), and give her a bath in a smaller tub. Tractor Supply or Southern States have tubs (or the good old Salvation Army or discount store).

Let us know how it goes.
Cheers,
N. VA

If it is nothing but rock hard cwapola, it can be crushed in place with good pair of pliers, into powder (don't pull - just crush). We tried soaking once, but stressed the hen worse than us. If wet and `ammoniacal' then soap and water is required.

4 our of our 5 have the same problem and it's because they have epically fluffy butt fuzz. The one who doesn't (our EE) has no problems at all. All I did was take a sharp pair of scissors and trimmed the fluff down. That solved the issue for 3 of the 4, and the 4th just needed a second trimming. Now, they're all good. I'll just redo it all when they molt.

Try children's liquid bubble bath. I pick a warm day, even in winter, fill a small tub with warm water and bubble bath liquid, and round up the dirty butts one at a time for "tune-ups".

Back the chicken up to the tub, splash warm sudsy water on the crust to soften it, then use a wash cloth or finger anil brush to scrub the feathers clean. There's no need to rinse as you would need to do with dish liquid.

However, recently I wanted to scrub a hen's neck that I had applied greasy "pick-no-more" to. I used Dawn liquid for that job and rinsed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom