Disaster Before Hatching?

Yukidongo

Songster
6 Years
Sep 16, 2016
My Sebastopol hatching eggs are today. My old mail carrier would have rung the bell, knocked, even returned them to the Post Office if I did not "physically" receive them. Looks like they were delivered at 11:30am. I picked them from the front porch at 12:20-12:30pm. Approximately one hour after arrival. It is ranging 33-36 degrees outside. The eggs are cold but not frozen. They arrived with 4 very light blue "legbar" eggs, and 3 crested duck eggs. Well packed.
I know from experience how hard shipping can be on eggs. But, any guesses how much damage that cold spell might have done? None. Little. Any? The eggs actually came from cooler clime. Pennsylvania. They shipped from PA Saturday, and arrived today (Monday). We were warm until today, here in NC. Any tips, advice, direction appreciated. Novice goose hatcher. I do chicks all the time.

Amazing! I heard a guy did that with quail eggs, lol. 33% hatch rate.
Thank you. That is comforting. I know they didn't freeze, this time, but that hour in the cold had me most upset. I called the pist office. The guy assures me it will be taken care if, and without causing a problem for my new carrier. I was hesitant to say something, but I order lots of eggs. Thanks for repkying...helped my day!

You should be ok. Let them set for a day to settle and come up to room temperature. I've found that Sebastopol eggs do best on their sides and turn completely over three times a day. I've been raising Sebastopols for over 10 years myself.

Back
Top Bottom