Discharge from eyes and nose

clhbubba

Songster
11 Years
Nov 9, 2008
Central Oklahoma
We bought a pair of young frizzles and a young silkie a couple of months ago. Isolated them for 3 weeks then put them out in a converted dog run as they were too little to run with the 'big' kids. About 2 weeks ago they started looking droopy. I wormed them a couple of times with Wazine and Sulmet, with no change. Then this past Sat I notices the frizzle hen with swollen eyes and yellow nasal discharge and the other two had a clearish discharge. We put all three of them down, which was very hard for both of us. I hope we didn't over react, I don't think so, but I'm second guessing myself on their disposal. The converted dog run/chicken run was in the enclosed acre, but they never ran with the others. I have ducks, geese, guineas, chickens, a turkey and peacocks(around 100 birds total) and am terrified I'm about to lose all of them. I'm also frustrated because I did isolate them prior to putting them out. I have two peachicks and 2 Serama hens with chicks in my storeroom, was planning on putting them out the end of the month but now I'm not so sure. I'm so confused, frustrated and scared for my birds. Sorry for the rambling. Words of wisdom, suggestions and so forth are most welcome.

I think you made the right choice. They seemed to have a severe respiratory illness that would have been hard on them and put your birds at risk. Even if you made them better they could still have been carriers.
hugs.gif

I appreciate the comfirmation Chickenzoo. Everything I have read on here about other BYCers experiences led me to that immediate decision when I saw the symptoms. My DH only hesitated for a minute, then I reminded him it could be the whole flock....there was no more hesitation. We enjoy all of our birds but some of them are truly beloved pets. I DO NOT want to have to do that to them. I'm still holding my breath for the others.

Back
Top Bottom