Jun 7, 2020
My duck has a dislocated ‘hip’ which you can fell is quite obviously out of place she is hobble on 1 leg the other for a bit of valence I was wondering if the dislocated bone will naturally return to its place if not do you have any surgestions or know how to pop the bone back in it is an Indian runner duck
Many thanks

My duck has a dislocated ‘hip’ which you can fell is quite obviously out of place she is hobble on 1 leg the other for a bit of valence I was wondering if the dislocated bone will naturally return to its place if not do you have any surgestions or know how to pop the bone back in it is an Indian runner duck
Many thanks
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

How old is your runner? Are you able to post a pic, video, or seek veterinary care?

No a dislocated bone will NOT pop back into place on it's own and I've done it... it's excruciating pain! :(

:fl

Hi
Thank you very much for the answer I will attach a video when I get home if you could go into more detail on how to pop the ducks joint back in. The duck is a full grown female my dad does not want to seek veterinary care due to the potential cost.

These photos show the location of the dislocation and her walking/standing

Attachments

• FFBF40E3-4DF4-48DA-8EF5-C1574B95AE76.jpeg
    FFBF40E3-4DF4-48DA-8EF5-C1574B95AE76.jpeg
    461.6 KB · Views: 180
  • D9D50A97-8BE9-4080-AB67-C674F8F53CE5.jpeg
    D9D50A97-8BE9-4080-AB67-C674F8F53CE5.jpeg
    787.7 KB · Views: 164
if you could go into more detail on how to pop the ducks joint back in.
I'm truly clueless on this.. it's called reducing the joint I believe... and they pulled my arm in opposite directions, stretching the ligaments and tendons until they were able to seat the the bones back together. While it was dislocated it had a very long extended, dangling type appearance. I'm not sure if I didn't have much control over the movement or I was just scared to move because it hurt so bad.. just as some sort of reference for what you might be seeing.

Without knowing what you are seeing in person.. I would hesitate on the diagnosis and wonder about a sprain or hairline type fracture.. in other words, please use YOUR best judgement, always!

I did see one thread on here a good while back that a vet set the joint on a young bird, cant remember if duckling, chick, turkey. After putting it back, they also used a sport type tape to help support proper placement. My physical therapist also used on the back of my leg once when dealing with sciatica.. Anyways during that vet appointment they also showed the person what it looked like and how it felt when things were in their proper place and how to put them back again if needed. Maybe you will find something if you search it on here?? Or hopefully you can get some more responses and help! I would youtube as many videos as I could if I had no other option... If the pain seems tolerable (remembering as prey animals they hide it best they can to not seem weak).. then I MIGHT just let it be.. If pain was too much to have a normal life, I personally believe euthanasia is the kindest option.

If it was a dislocation, once set... they splinted me for 6 weeks.. which weakens muscles and tightens them too.. making range of motion and strength take a bit to come back.. but I suspect that rest is key to stabilization.. so you MIGHT consider limiting her movement at some point to force rest.

Please know that I'm sure you've done tons of research and I don't mean to doubt you. I just try to be extra cautious.

Sorry I can't be more help. :fl

Thanks very much I can physically feel a lump where a joint should be but I will have a look to see if a hairline fracture could be the case. I also believe euthanasia is the best approach however it is not in as much pain as when it first happened so I will not many thanks

Back
Top Bottom