Disregarding Local Chicken Laws

GoneRogue

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 29, 2012
I have decided I don't agree with my local chicken keeping laws and I have started caring for 2 hens in my garage and backyard. I built a small coop in the garage, and move them daily to a pen in the backyard, the pen is moved everyday to allow the hens fresh yard to roam. I give them kitchen scraps, crickets, garden extras and a small ration of layer crumble. They do get to free range the backyard often and seem to be very happy. The birds are about 14 weeks old and I hope to keep them for eggs.

Most of the neighbors know about the birds and can observe that I take very good care of them, they are not a noise nuisance and so far (2 weeks) I have not heard from the local authorities.

I really don't have a question for this post, however, I do feel like somewhat of an outlaw. I believe the animal police will eventually catch up with me, and I am not sure how I will respond, other than making chicken noodle soup or moving the girls to a friend's farm.

GR

Being an outlaw didn't work well for me. I actually moved to be able to keep my birds. I hope your neighbours don't report you, which is really the most common reason why the planning committee asks you to remove them. Only 1 neighbour had an issue. The rest loved my birds. Are you sure you've talked to all the people around you?

I'm kind of in the same boat. The local laws where I live would allow me about 5 hens, but regardless of that law, my HOA wouldn't. My neighbors know about my gals and are understanding plus they like the free eggs *grin*. I'm also very religious about keeping my yard clean as I let my girls free range during the day. I pick up their droppings daily and once or twice a week, I hose everything down.

I've already determined that if my HOA were to demand the removal of my birds I'll temporarily relocate them to a friends and then fight the good fight. In the event that I do not win, I shall give them 'the bird' figuratively and move away. I shall not be parted from my fluffy butts!

Last edited:
Usually when a violation is reported, the "animal police" stop by and if they see a violation, give a reasonable amount of time to correct it - sometimes up to 30 days. No ticket, no jail time, etc.
They will only show up if it is reported by a neighbor. Stash the birds until after the return visit, then go about business as usual. Maybe the neighbor moves, maybe they don't over react, whatever. Try and find out who reports you and schmooz them or make the birds invisible when the snitch is around.
You can do this, it ain't the KGB and the CIA.

. Are you sure you've talked to all the people around you?
I have talked to most of them, except for the illegal aliens and the old girl next door, but she loves me, I just don't want to complicate her life as she is like 85 and has enough troubles.

I have this hanging on the refrigerator, I will pull this out as my defense if the need arises.

I have talked to most of them, except for the illegal aliens and the old girl next door, but she loves me, I just don't want to complicate her life as she is like 85 and has enough troubles.

I have this hanging on the refrigerator, I will pull this out as my defense if the need arises.

I sent this to a mayor trying to ban backyard hens :lol:

Not mine, but someone like you started a petition and we all wrote letters stating why the keeping of hens is a good idea.

Last edited:
Stash the birds until after the return visit, then go about business as usual. Maybe the neighbor moves, maybe they don't over react, whatever. Try and find out who reports you and schmooz them or make the birds invisible when the snitch is around.
You can do this, it ain't the KGB and the CIA.
20736, are you doing this? Do you keep hens illegally? Have you had experience avoiding fines?

You might consider keeping a stick handy to play Whack-a-Mole with nosy neighbors looking over the fence.
big_smile.png

Civil Eggs, you make it sound like 20736 is proposing something harmful. Illegal hens? Get real. A crime so heinous the city wants you to give them money for it. Yep, that's the root of it.....money. (And power.)

Last edited:
Illegally makes us all sound like criminals. Its not much different than having 3 dogs when the limit is 2. And people walk around with multiple dogs all the time!

Back
Top Bottom