Disregarding Local Chicken Laws

GoneRogue

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 29, 2012
I have decided I don't agree with my local chicken keeping laws and I have started caring for 2 hens in my garage and backyard. I built a small coop in the garage, and move them daily to a pen in the backyard, the pen is moved everyday to allow the hens fresh yard to roam. I give them kitchen scraps, crickets, garden extras and a small ration of layer crumble. They do get to free range the backyard often and seem to be very happy. The birds are about 14 weeks old and I hope to keep them for eggs.

Most of the neighbors know about the birds and can observe that I take very good care of them, they are not a noise nuisance and so far (2 weeks) I have not heard from the local authorities.

I really don't have a question for this post, however, I do feel like somewhat of an outlaw. I believe the animal police will eventually catch up with me, and I am not sure how I will respond, other than making chicken noodle soup or moving the girls to a friend's farm.

GR

. Are you sure you've talked to all the people around you?
I have talked to most of them, except for the illegal aliens and the old girl next door, but she loves me, I just don't want to complicate her life as she is like 85 and has enough troubles.

I have this hanging on the refrigerator, I will pull this out as my defense if the need arises.

well, technically speaking it DOES make you a criminal since a person who breaks law is committing a crime. It's really no different than a speeder who is "only 5-10 mph over" or the guy who only has "1 drink to unwind" Do you know what happens to the person who gets caught with 3 dogs instead of only 2? The county comes in and confiscates the dog. It goes to the pound and if it doesn't get a new home within 2-3 days it's killed.
For me, it's not something I could ever do because, frankly, I get caught every time I even think about doing something wrong. And then what happens to you? Stress and fines and going to court. And then, after you've exhausted your resources, what of your birds? They aren't pets to anyone else and if they get confiscated they are more likely to end up on someone's dinner table than in a cozy backyard coop. Or even in the best case scenario, living in conditions that many here wouldn't approve of. And, if you have kids? what of them? Do you want to sit the example that it's ok to follow only the rules that you agree with? Remember that example you've set the next time they wander home 2 hours after curfew with no phone call to let you know they were safe. After all, they are just breaking an "unfair rule" just like you.

Not picking on Jenny, she just made the statement above. But I know a lot of people who seem to think that it's ok to bend the rules when it goes against something "harmless" that they want to do.
If you cannot discern between a "criminal" and someone who does not bow to every ridiculous ordinance passed by some willy-nilly town council, then there's not much use in having this discussion. You really classify someone who does not wear his/her seatbelt with a violent offender?

As to kids, I teach my children to think for themselves.

Take, for example, the Marine sergeant who was discharged because he said he would not obey an un-Constitutional order. Why discharge him? EVERY man in uniform should feel the same way. Oh I've heard the arguments.....soldiers are to obey orders, not judge the orders. Funny how folks don't think too highly of Hitler's SS troops for "obeying orders", ain't it?

Laws/rules/regulations/orders are not always what they seem.

Last edited:
The gov't (even many local ones) have gotten to the point of micromanaging way too many things. The big question is: What would our founding fathers think about chicken laws? Even if they added an ammendment to the Bill of Rights protecting people's right to own chickens wherever and whenever they pleased our government would still ignore it to control the people. Something's wrong when the population is dependent on the flow of food to the grocery store. He who controls the food supply controls the population. The gov't can get the heck out of my backyard! The answer to 1984 is 1776!

I'm kind of in the same boat. The local laws where I live would allow me about 5 hens, but regardless of that law, my HOA wouldn't. My neighbors know about my gals and are understanding plus they like the free eggs *grin*. I'm also very religious about keeping my yard clean as I let my girls free range during the day. I pick up their droppings daily and once or twice a week, I hose everything down.

I've already determined that if my HOA were to demand the removal of my birds I'll temporarily relocate them to a friends and then fight the good fight. In the event that I do not win, I shall give them 'the bird' figuratively and move away. I shall not be parted from my fluffy butts!

Last edited:
Loud music at 2 AM.....that's infringing on others. Embezzling.......also infringing. Owning 8 chickens when only 4 are allotted.....sadly, this falls short of a felony in my opinion. Somehow, I don't think Alcatraz was built with illegal chicken owners and folks who don't wear their seat belts in mind, whether you can discern between them all or not.
what about the fact that your neighbors chose to live in a place that doesn't allow chickens because they don't want to live near someone who owns them? They don't want to hear hens cackling or roosters crowing. They spent a LOT of money to buy a home and I would bet that they consider a neighbor who breaks the law to be infringing on their rights to enjoy their own property.

This is especially true of homeowners associations. Home prices are more expensive and there are usually yearly dues as well as monthly fees to live there. Why do people pay them? Because they want to know that there are strict rules saying that the neighbors can't leave the yard to go to weeds and to have 2 dozen junker cars sitting in the back yard. They like knowing that they won't come home from work one day and finding that the guy down the street painted his house purple with yellow polka dots. And, to live there, you agree to certain rules and restrictions on your own behavior. Really, that is the same as being part of any community since man lived in caves - you agree to conform to certain standards to live with the group. There are so many areas that allow people to keep a backyard flock in town not to mention rural areas where you can almost literally do anything you please so why not live there instead of imposing your own values on other people?

Good points, but what if the one wanting the chickens was there first? I don't consider chicken ownership to be a great infringement on others, seeing as how most folks who want chickens aren't interested in having 50 or 60, but usually only a few for eggs. I still say anyone should be able to own a few, providing they own their house/land. I could see some restriction on apartments, perhaps, but there are even apartments that allow pets.

And, having worked in neighborhoods for nearly 30 years, I can say barking dogs trump chickens for noise any day of the week.

They just passed the law here that we can have 6 hens, and have to pay a fee of $25 a year for a licence. i was given 4 hens right now they are at my mom's on the ranch till we get the coop built and ready. I have one neighbor that is against it, they live across the street next to the house where the cops are always at. I hate to tell her my chickens will be a lot quieter than that plus she can't see them from her house
What exactly does the $25 pay for? How can a group of people who are elected by the public to begin with decide to "sell" privileges to the general populace? Why not require the town council to pay a yearly fee of $1000 each to sit on their little thrones?

Sorry, but I regard most politicians with the same contempt as I do cockroaches.

Okay, lets take this argument in a different direction. Instead of chickens, lets say you are making really cute hair bows. Lets say you are really good at making them and everyone always compliments your kids hair. They want to have you make a hair bow for them. Then you decide that you want to "go into buisiness" and you go to the craft store, buy 3 rolls of ribbon and some clips and a couple hours later you have a cute little Etsy shop. You stick a small package in the mailbox twice a week when you sell something. Great, right? Well, what if your HOA or community said that it was zoned residential, not commercial? My guess is that 99 percent of people wouldnt care or even think twice about selling your hair bows on etsy. They might care if you decided to ramp up production. Maybe they would care if you had 150 illegal workers coming in your house everyday to run a ribbon making sweatshop. They might care if you started using hazardous glue by the barrel and left the barrels out in your yard. They might care if you had large trucks coming every hour to deliver supplies or take hairbows. But that is ridiculous. I think we would all agree there is a BIG difference between the two scenerios.

Raising 3 hens in your backyard for eggs for your family and a tomato plant in a pot on your porch is ENTIRELY different than having a turkey farm raising/slaughtering/breeding thousands of turkeys. 3 hens are VERY quiet. They are much quieter than a dog. So, I would say the law is there to keep problems out. But if you are responsible and cause no damage / irritation to your neighbors, then its not a problem. There is a difference between illegal and immoral.

Also. You can break the law. Just be prepared to live with the consequences. If you have chickens, you might have to rehome them. If you speed you could get a ticket- or kill a child. Etc. So, before you do something, think through the consequences. Is it something you are willing to deal with? Depends. Our old HOA required permits to plant anything in your front yard. Honestly, I didnt ask permission before I planted some marigolds in a pot on my front porch. If I had to move them I would. However, if I were to add an addition on to my house... I would get a permit. The consequence of tearing THAT down would be more than I would be willing to risk. Life is rarely completely black or white. The joy comes from all the colors inbetween.

Back
Top Bottom