Dixie Chicks

my new little silkie rooster

@beercan, good job on solving that problem. I've been too busy to butcher them and I have nowhere to process except outside, just been too cold on any days I get a free minute. Maybe Monday. :D

@Outpost JWB I suffered through on and off rain. Wasn't smart enough to clean out a area in the garage. The others started crowing two days later. Still no night time crowing. :)

A little behind here , but in reference to silkies , Why are they black fleshed ?? Seen numerous pictures of them butchered and am always blown away by this fact ? I would think that It's a rare bird that actually has flesh that is so dark ? Have asked others and they say it tastes like a normal chicken ?? I have never had any so I have no experience with them , have know people who had them as bloodies and pets .Not knocking them down in any way as they are a distinct breed in my mind ........curious ?

A little behind here , but in reference to silkies , Why are they black fleshed ?? Seen numerous pictures of them butchered and am always blown away by this fact ? I would think that It's a rare bird that actually has flesh that is so dark ? Have asked others and they say it tastes like a normal chicken ?? I have never had any so I have no experience with them , have know people who had them as bloodies and pets .Not knocking them down in any way as they are a distinct breed in my mind ........curious ?

Silkies are one of the oldest breeds of chickens documented historically. Marco Polo wrote about chickens with fur not feathers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silkie

They are not completely melanistic by the way. The way the Ayam Ceminis are. Black flesh black bones black meat They are just not as melanistic as some.

The Chinese prize them for cooking and broth made from them is supposed to be medicinal.

deb

melanistic.........have heard of it occurring periodically in animals , maybe there are other creatures that keep that trait as well ? again it's a variety I have never seen myself other then what others had as a part of there flock .Will have to do some research ? rather unique

Back
Top Bottom