Dixie Chicks

@vehve he's a nice big specimen for his breed! If he doesn't make it through the night for whatever reason I have a co-worker who'd take him to the taxidermist. Just have to call fish and wildlife again for the tag.
Otherwise no taxidermist will take them.

But for now the plan is to release him in the morning. ~60km by car, maybe ~45km as the bird flies. I have been told he might still make it back within 2 weeks. I need 3 weeks without him then we'll be gone.

@CanuckBock great post as usual, have you wrote a book yet?
I've been debating not doing my plan on silkie giant cross. I probably will hatch out some for he he's, but I don't think I'll do the back cross or continue it. I recently saw some awesome fibro naked necks, and they wern't no 'show girls'. Large breed black meat birds. I think I'll go that route. I have a sorce near me for cemani culls cheap. The cemanis have more genes for fibro than silkies I heard. I'm going to try a naked neck cemani cross. I know nothing of the genetics, figure I'll just stumble through it and breed for NN, fibro, and size. If it doesn't work out I'll have some ugly chickens to eat :)

BC, I'll look up the genetics of naked neck and report back at you...they do make awesome meat birds and am told are pretty weather resilient despite the lack of feathers in certain areas.
tongue.png

Agreed, Ayam Cemani have lots of black enhancements...explains the black combs and wattles.

No book but expect my posts are book like to most, so every post I make, consider it a BOOK...har har.
barnie.gif

Got a quick late lunch to gulp and sweetnesses to go deliver back on home to enjoy the weekend...later.

So every morning I go out to feed the ducks with the dog. In the dark I saw all the ducks huddled into one corner piling on top of each other. As I am opening the door into the run, I see one shoot straight up, about 4 feet. My ducks are way too fat for that height...
I dig through my pockets fishing for my cell phone and something shoots up again. ***!

Here is what I discovered:

Been loosing ducks to him all winter....

So I tried to shoo him out but he kept flying into the net that covers the run (half of the run is netted, the rest as tons of string run across). So I changed the tactic in trying to pick him up. I could get within a foot of him.

Change of tactic again: run the dog inside and grab a thick cloth. Found a worn sweater real quick and went back to the duck run. After 3 attempts I was finally able to pick him in a bit of my sweater. After a quick thought I decided to put him into a dog kennel instead of releasing. If I had just released him right there he'd be having another duck for dinner.

Fish and Wildlife is supposed to come out and get him but it sounds like they are all too busy
happydance2.gif
happydance2.gif
I may get to keep him for a day and release him myself.

Apparently I impressed the fish and wildlife guy since I caught an owl with my own hands. (yes I wore thick leather gloves). I just called them again and spoke to a different lady. As soon as I mentioned "owl" she got all giddy and excited. Am I the talk of their office??

Have had a fishing net hanging by the barn for a few years already , handy for catching all sorts of critters , loose rabbits , wandering chickens / turkeys ......and of course any wildlife that sticks around longer then wanted...............good catch though , looks like a horned owl ?

Fishing net is a good idea. If you can some for cheap it might make a good cover too, just thinking loud here.

And yes to a Horned Owl.

Fish and Wildlife never got back to me today , so he'll be staying for the night. Tomorrow I have to go to the next town over (63km drive, 40+km as the crow flies) so will release him there. Fish and Wildlife biologist says he'll be back in about 2 weeks, I am hoping to get 3 weeks out of that release.

@NotAFarm well progress is moving forward much more rapidly now on the bathroom build.....

I am hoping to process some rough cutt wood to work on the wainscoting trim tomorrow....

it will be my first project starting off with rough lumber and processing it all the way down to whats needed...figured it be a good start :)

Very nice amberjem!

Briardchickens, I love the owl pic. You should get it enlarged & framed. Pretty.

Hennible, thanks for the update on the bird flu. Step daughter is in town from Indiana......going to use extra measures to make sure we don't get it. She doesn't raise chickens, but she does raise sheep. So, she frequents the feed store where others raise chickens. I have started stocking up on feed. I used to buy 3 layer and 1 rabbit feed per week. I now double that and store them in aluminum garbage cans every other week to lessen the foot traffic and possible spread of diseases at the feed store.

Beercan, I love my Sussex. Only have 1 full blooded speckled. He is a monster bird. His offspring are fast growing & large for the most part. The ones that remain smaller are 1/2 rir. I have a few hens rir/ss cross. They are curious and super talkative. I couldn't tell of egg production. I need to keep better track of that. Currently getting no eggs. Maybe 1 a week. Weather keeps changing and has been so rainy and cold, I don't want 2 let them out to get sick.

Got new patio door in & subfloors fixed in family room!:) I'll see if I can post pics later. When we bought the place, we knew the floors were bad. They use some kind of compressed boards for the subfloors and when they get wet, they just expand and turn to mush like a peat pod.

Need to get ready for work. You all have a great day. I'm super excited because of Martin Luther king day, I actually get TWO whole days off, in a row!:weee

@NotAFarm well progress is moving forward much more rapidly now on the bathroom build.....

I am hoping to process some rough cutt wood to work on the wainscoting trim tomorrow....

it will be my first project starting off with rough lumber and processing it all the way down to whats needed...figured it be a good start :)

Looking good! I'm a fan of louvered doors but hate cleaning them.
roll.png

I'm impressed that you will be producing your own wainscoting! Start to finish pictures of the lumber will be needed!

Back
Top Bottom