Dixie Chicks

I cannot imagine being dogless. We have had our little dog for 6 years and our hunting dog for a couple years. I also can't imagine trying to take a vacation....
th.gif

Hi Neighbor! Would you like the opportunity to feed, water and care for 2 dogs, 6 rabbits, 45 hens, 13 roosters and (by then) who knows how many chicks?
big_smile.png
My neighbor, and any of my children would have this reaction
smack.gif
If you have any retired folks in the neighborhood they'd probably LOVE to have that kind of a task.

Ahhh, dogs.

A couple of decades ago, when I was a boomerang child (had to live at home after college for a bit) I brought my dog -- a St. Bernard mix named Snow -- with me. Mom fell in love with the dog and when I married she kept the dog and I visited often (a great arrangement considering I moved into a newlywed apt)....Mom definitely loved having her first girl dog and enjoyed the daily walks. If Mom missed walk time, Snow would let herself out and do the daily stroll herself. Luckily, we had the best Animal Control person in the world who would tell the dog 'Let's go for a ride' and put her in the front seat and bring her back. Snow was just a big gentle giant... Mom could never understand why bratty teenagers would yell "Cujo!" at them on the walks. It was a sad day when Snow was put down due to metastasized bone cancer. I left word up at the Police Dept. and within the hour the Animal Control officer was on Mom's front porch in tears.

The next dog I had was a Schipperke named Sparkie. Great dog and full of opinionated personality, my posse dog who lived with me through five moves and two husbands. She started going downhill 16 years after puppyhood at the unfortunate time that my dad was declining rapidly, too. A conference I attended in September of that year had a psychic as cocktail hour entertainment. Forewarned is forearmed and I asked about what and when to expect the inevitable. Turning the cards she informed me that Sparkie would be first and there would be an incident April 10th. Dad would be later in the year, like holiday time. Well, sure enough, Sparkie woke up, keeled over and died on April 11th. At age 16-just-shy-of-17 her heart just gave out, and she did us a great favor in passing that way.
I let the psychic know later how accurate she had been and was informed that she doesn't give normally do dates as they're often inaccurate, but there was a tremendous clarity when reading me. (And I have avoided psychics ever since because sometimes you really don't want the answers to the questions)

idunno.gif

Toddler just asked for chicken for dinner I said we didn't have any, he said go outside and butcher one...
gig.gif
Wow, he is obviously not thinking of them as pets!

Hawks beat the Jets in overtime......

Time for bed.....good night everyone.

Well, thanks for that post hennible - I received a great education last night and stayed up reading the entire thread
caf.gif
Very informative and it answered a lot of questions I had!

hi @BriardChickens @Cold Canadian
@JulesChicks
Wait a minute- how'd you know I was lurking here Amberjem? Am I going nuts - I don't think I had posted here yet?! Sure have read quite a bit of this thread though
smile.png

Now, off to go catch up on the last few pages...

It isn't easy loosing anyone loved. Bobby just fell asleep one day... He had actually been at the vets the same morning and was declared healthy. The vet had put him on a pain medication a few days before. One of the side effects was death between day 3-5. He died on day 5. We didn't read the details of the side effect, you know how you kind of discard that pamphlet that comes with medication...

For his breed he could have lived 12-14 years, he made it to 10 1/2. Because we didn't really know why he did, we asked the vet to look for cause of death. The short answer was his heart stopped. The deeper answer was also a starting tumor on his liver as well as one protein in his blood was too high (no one could tell us what it ment, but it was probably a pre cursor to cancer) We like to think Bobby spared us the decision have him put to sleep one day...
I am so sorry to hear of your loss of Bobby. Sounds like more than a pet. Sounds like a member of your family. So sorry for your loss.

Well, thanks for that post hennible - I received a great education last night and stayed up reading the entire thread :caf   Very informative and it answered a lot of questions I had!

Wait a minute- how'd you know I was lurking here Amberjem? Am I going nuts - I don't think I had posted here yet?! Sure have read quite a bit of this thread though :)

Hello, are you kidding? Did you really? I never know if someone is joking or not even if they insert a LOL. There have been times I see an interesting thread and I am tempted to back read and barely backup a reply or two. Good for you if you have that kind of patience. I don't. I can admire someone who really is interested enough to back read more than a page.

Last edited:
Well, thanks for that post hennible - I received a great education last night and stayed up reading the entire thread
caf.gif
Very informative and it answered a lot of questions I had!

Wait a minute- how'd you know I was lurking here Amberjem? Am I going nuts - I don't think I had posted here yet?! Sure have read quite a bit of this thread though
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
wink.png

Amberjem is the all seeing thread starter with the photographic memory...
lol near photographic

I am absolutely exhausted been a heck of a day be up for a few then going to pass out... on e bright note the front yard fence is up YIPPY and the doggys seem to like the new freedom of more space and being in the front with me

Morning @Amberjem ! 2:11am here. I am off work today, but my body has decided I am not sleeping in
sad.png
. We got the water fixed last night! YIPEE!!! Today will be fun filled with dishes, laundry, and showers at the top of the list!
big_smile.png
So glad it's fixed. Yesterday the rabbit's water bottles were froze solid, so I brought them in and put them by the fireplace area. I was glad I woke up early, because they are thawed now & I ran them out to the rabbits and they seemed very thirsty. Poor critters. You have a good day. I am off to either make coffee, or try to go back to bed.

Morning @Amberjem ! 2:11am here. I am off work today, but my body has decided I am not sleeping in
sad.png
. We got the water fixed last night! YIPEE!!! Today will be fun filled with dishes, laundry, and showers at the top of the list!
big_smile.png
So glad it's fixed. Yesterday the rabbit's water bottles were froze solid, so I brought them in and put them by the fireplace area. I was glad I woke up early, because they are thawed now & I ran them out to the rabbits and they seemed very thirsty. Poor critters. You have a good day. I am off to either make coffee, or try to go back to bed.
ya.gif
yippy

Back
Top Bottom