Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Amberjem, Jan 1, 2015.

1. BriardChickens

BriardChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    Don't tell my dog... he wishes for a few legs! I still have half a garbage can full of bones and scraps from the butcher for the dog and the chickens...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

An insect hotel is a bug house you build to attract beneficial insects to your garden... Lady bug houses, solitary bee house etc....

3. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Do a google image search for insect hotel, some of the designs are pretty elaborate. But the theory is that your plants do better, since you attract pollinators.

4. Ooh, I've heard of these. I would love to make one too.

Well, nipple waterers are almost finished, just need to swap out old one tonight.

The hole saw is just undersized and I can't find the heat gun anywhere. [​IMG]Dang it. I wanted to get this feeder today. How long is the time diffference with a hair dryer, anyone know??? LOL No, seriously...anyone?

Oh well, more time on BYC.[​IMG]

5. hennible

Sorry what are you using the heat gun for??

6. The hole saw is just a bit small for the holes for the tote feeder. I heard using a heat gun and shoving the fitting through self seals it when it cools down. Oldest tried to use teenage manpower, just not enough of a gap.

7. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

A hairdryer might work, but it will take a lot longer to heat it. If there's a large difference in diameter, you could introduce the hole to some sand paper first, get it a bit closer to the right fit. I'd say you want about a tenth of an inch of a difference in diameter between the hole and the pipe.

So, anyone here interested in mixing your own feed? I just put together a spreadsheet for calculating the nutrients.

8. BriardChickens

BriardChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    Not sure I would want even more bugs at my place then we already do have.... Even tho we are building a new house on our property this year I am hoping that by free ranging the chickens (when the dog isn't out) that we can cut down the bug population by some.

9. hennible

Hot water or steam from an electric kettle

A little interested.... Will it save me $$

10. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    A real heat gun gets a lot hotter than a hairdrier. I still don't understand though, you trying to soften the plastic so it fits??? Small propane torch maybe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by