Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Amberjem, Jan 1, 2015.

1. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    OK, I had this great big long post typed out the other day and the my phone died and of course lost it all.

We drove over 8 hours round trip to pick up what was supposed to be a chocolate pair of anconas, a blue hen, and 2 black hens. Got home at 4am Saturday morning and I was wore out as I had been up since 5am Friday morning.

Saturday we sleep until noon, get up and decide to finish the new ducks quarantine pen. Get it all enclosed and loose wire re secured and the ducks move in and all is well. Had to install the light fixture is all in this pen. We finish the Swedish flower hen pen so I can get to hatching pure SFH. We get most of the chocolate orpington pen done other than the top door and a light fixture.

Then yesterday we unload hay into the horse barn, install the light fixture into the duck pen, and go pick up a bunch of the wood we were given. Spent some time with my parents while they were down visiting.

Then after we get the light installed and we are admiring our work, something catches my eye that is not right about my chocolate ancona drake. I don't see a curled tail feather. [​IMG] I grab "him" up and QUACK! QUACK QUACK QUACK! Hmmmm, seems to me that this drake is actually a hen![​IMG] [​IMG] LOL. It was dark and late so I never even noticed when we were picking them up! Now I am on the search for a new drake as my 2 boys are not going to successfully cover all 14 girls now. YES, 14 HENS!!! I am so going to be covered up in duck eggs, ducklings, and duck poo! I really hope I can sell enough and hatch enough so I can make hatching for next years breeders feasible money wise.

I had some things I had said to outpost JWB, Amberjem, and Briard and now I can not remember what it was! That is what I get for not realizing my phone was dying. UHG

2. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Always plug your phone in when possible. Good for the battery too, modern batteries don't like a deep discharge, as opposed to the mobile phones ten or fifteen years ago.

Holy cow, it's been 17 or 18 years since I got my first mobile phone. Now I feel old. That was my dad's old Nokia 2110, a year later I bought a Siemens S25 with my own money.

3. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    I typically plug it in when I get home from work and allow it to charge and use it sometimes while charging. For some reason this time around I never even thought about it and just continued on and on using it until beep and the screen goes black with samsung across it. I was aggravated cause I had a great big old post typed. OH well

4. BriardChickens

BriardChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    C'mon right over, DH tested the water last night and it's all good! We thought we'd use it last night stayed in, the wind chill was nasty...

5. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    There was 3 feet of snow after a storm in our long driveway and I was 6 months pregnant with twins when I finally went to the Verizon store to get my first Nokia cell phone...13 years ago. I just had to envision myself stuck in a snow bank with a big belly and decided I better get one.

6. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    [​IMG]How's everyone?

I try to pop in once in a while to see if I can contribute. But life keeps me away a bit, I guess. Too hard to keep up. But if you don't mind a pop in once in a while I'll just say hi and put in a couple bits.

7. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Hi bogtown
    I'm good, you?

8. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    Hello bogtown! We're good here, just keeping busy with getting breeding pens set for spring!

9. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Hiya Bog! Thank you for supporting the Finnish economy with that purchase. If only people would have continued to do so in later years... Too bad the product was a bit crap by then. Nokia was actually big on touchscreen phones, but they abandoned them, because "no one would pay 800 dollars for a phone". Then came this "some kind of fruit company", and managed to brand smartphones as something everyone needs.

10. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I'm Good Hennible. Anxious to get into some gardening like you. We don't have much snow and I can see dirt--its just rock hard is the problem...and well, my head is just full of planting ideas.

Minihorse: you sound like you've got some unique poultry and some nice stock. Breeding pens and fencing...sounds like a bit of work ahead of you! What fun though...when you get it all done!

The dang fruit company really has a nice corner of the market don't they. The kids finally got their own slice of that fruit this fall, hubby and I got em. IDK...they are nice to hold in your hand. And seem to keep us organized. But I did like that Nokia and used it for quite a number of years until my friend from California came and visited me and laughed at me. She said I had one just like that but now I just use it as a travel alarm clock. LOL. IDK after that it was a pink RAZR...liked that phone alot. Then another sort of generic flip phone and finally an iphone just this spring. Addicted to the dang thing too much. Come summer though I'll leave it on the counter while I go out and chicken and garden. Don't need it then...people will just have to wait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by