Dixie Chicks

Supposedly (and I believe it does, but don't care) those lovely little chard bits that are so tasty are carcinogenic, if you want to reduce the carcinogen load, get this, supposedly marinating your meat in beer before cooking reduces this...

There's worse things for our health than the yummy tasty bits (mmm crispy pork fat bits)...

I use the cast iron pan sometimes, scorch the crap out of it bloody in the middle. Can only do it when the wife isn't home, gets smokey, even wth the hood fan on. Mmm good.

Beat me to it. I was just thinking of "rambling on" about cooking in a cast iron skillet...who uses it? Does yours stay seasoned. (will you let anyone else touch it, wash it, cook in it?) Is it a "Southern Thing?" Sometimes if you have lived mainly in the South, you don't know what is Southern and what is not.

I cook most of the things that I stir fry, fry, broil, simmer, etc. in my mother's old 10 in. cast iron skillet. Must be late 1930's....don't even remember the brand. I also have an assortment of other sizes, 6 in. (also mother's), a couple in between those, one with corn bread pie-shaped dividers. My brother sent me a huge...must be camp fire cast iron skillet for Christmas, well cared for, and the box and pan was so big and so heavy I thought it was a computer.
I have a cast iron Dutch oven, that I have had trouble getting a good patina on and don't use much. If I could only have one...it would really be enough, and that would be the old I first stood on a chair and was allowed to help cook bacon and eggs....my mom's.

I have three Emile Henry red clay pots that I do like too, just not as much as cast iron.

@hennible , sorry you are under the weather.

@Beer can , Deep fried butter is great. So is deep fried cheesecake. Heck, Deep fried anything is awesome! And super healthy. As long as it's fried in oil.....right!

@Mahen100 , I love my cast iron skillets. My brother has CISOCD. (Cast Iron Skillet Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). He treats them better than his kids! When not in use, they are greased to perfection and hanging on display in his kitchen.

Oh Happy Day! JWB, your good fortune with a new job must have been contagious! My son just phoned that he'd landed a job he thinks he'll really enjoy (instead of pushing un-necessary insurance to people trying to rent Hertz cars.) He can actually use his degree in Geology at a small private lab..Galbraith, and he starts March 9. So glad for him.
wee.gif

Evening everybody. How's everybody?
good how r u?

Tried to log on BYC and got this with a message saying it was down, I thought NO I'M BORED, what did alaskan or bama do? Everybody go to jail? Lol!

Anyone else ever see this message? Said come back later.
I can't say that I have, but it's darn cute.

Sour, I think it's fairly recent, the notice thread about it just popped up in the latest threads a few hours earlier today.

Bama, it was delicious, fried to perfection. Perfectly seared on the outside, so tender and juicy that it just dissolves in your mouth, with just the perfect shade of pink inside, and just the tiniest sliver of red in the middle. Fats perfectly dissolved, from letting it thaw out on the counter for twelve hours, so that the meat was completely room temperature by the time I fried it. In other words, a most excellent steak.
Best steak I never tasted.LOL

Sam, feel better soon.

butter with a little olive oil to keep it from smokin.....
droolin.gif

I like to broil steaks if it were my own stove... put a little water in the broiler pan so the drippings dont smoke and stick it in the broiler.... No fat cooking but boy do the steaks come out good. Pork chops too. the fat on the meat gets all carmelizy.... Cant do lean meat this way though. it comes out tough.

Hey any one price corned beef lately.....
th.gif
I bought a couple of packages when it was on sale at Vons in January. Five bucks a piece.... there was a limit of four but I had no place in the freezer....

I priced them at my local discount store yesterday... Food4Less. 22 bucks for a three pound corned beef.... I think they are OUTA their minds. for wont of a better expression.

Saint Patricks day is coming up... But Dang thats gouging...

Course beef in general is crazy expensive... steaks that would have run nine bucks a package are going for eighteen... OFF the menu. Even chicken is getting crazy...

deb

Back
Top Bottom