Dixie Chicks

I used to use the broiler under our gas oven, makes more of a mess though under high heat.
Cast iron pans are a southern thing? Well I'm a Yankee from NY and we all use cast iron pans, better than non-stick if seasoned. Bunch of red neck hillbilly's around here, they do say the Catskill Mountain's are part of the Appalachia. We just have Lodge brand cast iron, the good older ones like my parents have, and antique collectors like to hang on walls are Wagner, do you guys have them down there?

I watched Alton Brown make his own corned beef, I have done it with venison roasts. Any hunk of beef will work even a low $ round roast.
London Broil is sometimes not to much $ and would work also.

Last edited:
I watched Alton Brown make his own corned beef, I have done it with venison roasts. Any hunk of beef will work even a low $ round roast.
London Broil is sometimes not to much $ and would work also.

London broil is the same cut... brisket.... without the fat... I wish I could afford a primal pack. they are less pricy per pound but were talking 90-100 dollars. Then you got to be prepared to do your own butchering... It would be worth it to be prepared to cut it up and wrap it yourself.... But I need a chest freezer for that... Not going to happen here.

I would rather have the higher fat cuts anyway... better flavor... or if there is too much fat cap trim it then render the fat for cooking other things like french fries....
droolin.gif

I really want to buy a quarter or half beef.....

deb

@ Beer Can Both...and I am trying to remember...which the collectors prefer...Lodge, I think, but older is better....the iron recipe changed "back when" and the newer ones don't do as well, even with tending. "Cracker Barrel" came out with some branded on the bottom with their logo....I have a couple of them and they do pretty well. I was asking if it were a "southern thing" 'cause I didn't really know.

Edited to add: the pan I like has a mark and inch number, but no brand name. I researched it once, but forgot which it is. So you say to collectors like Wagner?

Last edited:
I used to use the broiler under our gas oven, makes more of a mess though under high heat.
Cast iron pans are a southern thing? Well I'm a Yankee from NY and we all use cast iron pans, better than non-stick if seasoned. Bunch of red neck hillbilly's around here, they do say the Catskill Mountain's are part of the Appalachia. We just have Lodge brand cast iron, the good older ones like my parents have, and antique collectors like to hang on walls are Wagner, do you guys have them down there?

You can get Lodge at Walmart here. We got several cast iron pans under the counter... Unfortunately Grandma wasnt taught how to cook in em... She would soak them with dish soap and put em on the stove to boil... soap and all to "get em clean"....
th.gif

So all of them have rust... I need to snag em out brillo out the rust and re-season them. They have to be a hunnert years old. Moms got the same deal too. When they each discovered teflon then non stick they stowed their cast iron.

deb "a west coaster"

I did my corned venison in the crock pot. I was disappointed at first, after brining it was grey, but as soon as it got warm in the crock it turned red! Awesome!

Back
Top Bottom