Dixie Chicks

I actually followed that! Wild!

We are both crazy for staying up so late... Go to bed ;)

My excuse is that I keep checking Facebook for fire updates... Not that there is risk of my house burning down..... Just wild, and tragic, and the photos are mind blowing, and I really like seeing how much people are helping!

Heh, and I repeated something you said, lol...

Sorry for the fires, but really glad people are helping... especially my home state... :)

Can't sleep, bad sunburn and tons of irritating heat rash... :/

That is nice!

I would love to see that on an Ameracana....

Ok... But wait... How is that different from mottled? Because mottled is mostly black with white feathers?

Paint is mostly white with black feathers??
Mottled is white tips on darker feathers. The percentage of feathers with mottling can vary.
Spangled is white or dark tips on every feather.
A splashed feather is one on which there are irregular splashes of contrasting color. It is a defect in spangled or mottled varieties.

I didn't find any APA accepted breed that has splash as an accepted variety, but they exist where ever there is an accepted blue variety. They can be shown under AOV (any/all other varieties) at shows but the variation is so great there isn't a "standard color description" of Splash.

I went to the Crossroads show in Indianapolis a few years ago and took this pic of an Ameraucana belonging to Paul Smith of Texas.
I would love a flock of these......
love.gif

Hmm, that's odd, I wonder how many breeds have only recognized varieties in black, blue and white but they exclude splash, a guaranteed given when breeding blues. ??? Dumb. This is the case for jersey giants and langshans.

This is the foundation of my paint easter eggers. Needs lots of work to get to a ameraucana standard, but gotta start somewhere.

Originally Posted by RavynFallen

Link to the Georgia article on the 3 flocks:

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/state-slaughters-chickens-in-bird-flu-scare/nmd3s/#d22e722b.3455835.735765

Hi everyone!
just playing catchup on over 500 posts!!!

Sorry for the losses, predators and failed hatches. Yea, for the chicks!

Alaskan - hope the thumb is healing. Prayers for all your neighbors in harm's way
hugs.gif

As for the Georgia thing,
he.gif
are these "professionals" heartless, unthinking, idiots? So glad the powers that be here in Wisconsin (where we have suffered some very real losses) have been showing some intelligent restraint and a bit of common sense.

They haven't "officially" banned shipments into the state, yet, but expecting it soon anyway even tho there have not been a report of any new cases in the past several week. Because of the temp rising, it's most likely over here for now but everyone is really nervous about what will happen when the fall migration starts that's why the ban on moving poultry of any kind to or from any swap meets, shows, etc. stays in place until the end of December.

My place is in self-imposed lockdown for now because this far north we are still having cold nights (we might actually get hit by frost again tonight
roll.png
) so there still could be some virus hanging around and I am just not taking chances.
My little flock may not have a lot of value to anyone else but they are priceless to me, but even more so, I want no reason to have the government commandos show up at my door. We are mostly common sense country folks up here, far removed from all the craziness (both physical and mental) of Madison and Chicago up here and want to keep it that way.

Last edited:
bc, I don't think geese would be good protectors, just smaller predators like fox wouldn't mess with them? And cotton patch geese were breed to weed the cotton fields before chemicals, they have a long history of free ranging and evading predators. They have the instinct for it, but are still very docile, they are not mean. And their ability to fly is much better than any other domestic goose, they say they can fly without a running running start, probably from years of getting away from predators in the cotton fields.

Neat sounding breed

Foxes are my biggest problem, so i'd need someone that would bond enough to the ducks and chickens to protect them from the fox. A big turkey tom?

I think you just need another dog... Great pyrinees or something... Be cheaper than losing birds consistently...

Off to read all the links you guys posted...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom