Dixie Chicks

Rehome is definitely the 1st and best option. DH is super mad that I brought it home.
roll.png
One of our neighbors has 20+ feral cats and they drive me crazy! If we have to keep her, spaying will be done asap. She's very young right now. I have her in a dog crate in the outer part of the coop for the time being. Little girl has totally slacked on all her work since the kitten appeared.....more work for me.
th.gif
She misses a pay week or two and the kitten will be old news. LOL!

I have a situation I'd like opinions about.  We found an abandoned girl kitten.  Cute as a button, although I am not a cat person.  DH is more so NOT a cat person.  Brought it home with intent to rehome it.  Posted flyers "Free Kitten" etc.  If no one takes this kitten, it will become a barn cat.  How many of you have or had barn cats?  I am worried about the urine smell & fecal matter clean up.
I assume there is no chicken proof litter box which would mean my chickens would eat the litter:sick , so that's not an option.  Just trying to make provisions in case it's ours to keep.  In the meantime:

[COLOR=006400]FREE TO A GOOD HOME!!!!   Beautiful bluish gray kitten. [/COLOR]
I've got 2, used to have 4. They use the manure pile from the horse barn as a litter box and do great catching all sorts of critters. I've got the phone # for a lady who can set you up to have her fized, vaccinated, flea treated, everything for $20.

Last edited:
I am not a cat person. They are cute but I don't want to own one. I would take it to a human society or a no kill shelter. Kittens are the fastest things to be adopted. They are cute. IMO

I am not a cat person. They are cute but I don't want to own one. I would take it to a human society or a no kill shelter. Kittens are the fastest things to be adopted. They are cute. IMO

Both me and my son are allergic. My son more than me... but when I had cats they werent allowed in the bedroom... Which was fine for them they had the whole rest of the house and the Greenhouse room lots of hunting places...

I wont have cats again.... especially since they dont live past thirty minutes if they get outside. and I think its inhumane to keep them locked in a house.... So No More for me. because I dont even have a barn for them to live in.

No a Jack russel or some sort of terrorist type dog... LOL. Um Terrier. is a good choice for mousie duty in the house and around the outside... Then a Rottwieler or Rottie cross for security.... Then an Aussie cross for a livestock helper... Actually Rotweilers were bred originally as an all purpose dog.. Herding cattle, or driving cattle, Carting, protecting the family....

My last dog was an Aussie cross... natural instinct to herd. I never taught her but I could point her away and shed go around the goats for me.... Effective at getting them back in their yard believe me.

Ideally I should have an LGD... but you really need fencing for them because they tend to wander. besides I cant afford one... I need dogs that will orbit the house and come when I call. I do have a secure yard for youngsters while they are learning... but its only about an acre... I want dogs to mark the whole property as a warning to coyotes.

deb

Deb, my dog is an Australian Healer/cross; he's 10+ now. Smartest dog I ever owned. I was cautioned to "curb" the herding humans play behavior when he was a puppy, which I did. He is the smartest animal I have ever known. This one is a bit OCD and he wants things done (like closing up the chickens at dusk) on a regular basis....he comes and barks at me if something in the routine is not followed. :/

I think the dog understands the English language. He's my best friend!

Deb, my dog is an Australian Healer/cross; he's 10+ now. Smartest dog I ever owned. I was cautioned to "curb" the herding humans play behavior when he was a puppy, which I did. He is the smartest animal I have ever known. This one is a bit OCD and he wants things done (like closing up the chickens at dusk) on a regular basis....he comes and barks at me if something in the routine is not followed.
hmm.png

I think the dog understands the English language. He's my best friend!

My Aussie cross was like that... and she had a huge vocabulary... Best thing I taught her was "no dogs" in a gentle voice... it can be combined with a hand signal to stop what shes doing... to keep her from coming out the door with me or the car... or setting your plate down on the coffee table and say "no dogs' when she expresseed interest. I NEVER took advantage of that leaving her out of eyesite.. but it was good for getting up to get the salt...

My Rosie lived till she was seventeen. its been almost three years now and I still havent considered another dog... sigh.

Loved the fact that she rarely barked and when she did it was to get my attention for something. usually important... She was a good ratter too... I pulled out what was the dog couch and saw a rat disappear from it into a hole in the ground under neath. I told her to get em
and she did... she moved ALL the dirt out of the planter... a good yard... and killed every rat she found... with a shake... and I would tell her to drop it... she did and went back to her escavation.... Killed three grown rats and about four juveniles then uncovered three nests full of pinkies... I stopped her so I could get the pinkies and let her loose again for the rest. All with just words...and praise....

I have NO hope or delusions I will replicate her... so am expecting to fill her position at the house with at least three dogs.

deb

Not a fan of cats but then I do like the shop cat at work. He's survived a heavy duty shop for 1 1/2 years which would make him some what smart, right?

Well, I took the turning tray out from my chicken hatch and increased the humidity. Quick candle tells me that one was trying to internally pip! C'mon Chickie's!!

Back
Top Bottom