Dixie Chicks

Can you free range your chickens Alaskan? My feed consumption has gone done quite a bit although I am currently going on a daily egg hunt all over the place.
Chickens are finding a ton of spiders and bugs. Heck, today one of them killed a mouse. Yay for free ranging and the birds sticking to around the house. Tons of mice around here!

I am thinking that we will butcher a bunch "way too soon" just so that we can stop feeding them. I have never butchered them at such a tiny size...but whatever. Feed here is pretty spendy.

Exactly what I plan on doing, not cool, but can't feed everyone.
Skin split and throw them on the grill. Feed bill is reduced. I don't like it either, but necessary.

Can you free range your chickens Alaskan? My feed consumption has gone done quite a bit although I am currently going on a daily egg hunt all over the place.
Chickens are finding a ton of spiders and bugs. Heck, today one of them killed a mouse. Yay for free ranging and the birds sticking to around the house. Tons of mice around here!
y

Well, free ranging them would reduce my feed bill....since I would be loosing them at a rapid rate.

I know people in Alaska that free range...but me .... The second those girls are let out they are eaten by every raptor kniwn to man... I think I am at the location of a prime thermal or something.

Depends how open your space is too. Not long ago we had a dead deer right on the property line and up to 8 bald eagles feasting on it. The neighboring property is clear cut with a large pond. The eagles never bothered my chickens. I have enough huge old trees on the property that eagles can't make their way in or out.
The former owner used to keep a couple hundred chickens here. She swears she never lost one to the eagles.
I still see 3 or 4 eagles regularly, they definitely are nesting reasonably close.

The crows on the other hand have started stealing my duck eggs. Stupid birds!

I have open areas, and tree clumps, and some bushes etc....

But without fail...if the girls are let out, something eats them.

I have had eagles, hawks, and even a perrigrine falcon (so small though, didn't manage to eat any chickens)

So I've got a question for everyone. Would you be upset to find a picture of your bird posted as someone else's avatar with no credit given?

Back
Top Bottom