Do chickens like snow?

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

I guess I forget not everyone gets snow. lol

Hah! Snow is only one feature of winters (outside of CA and FL). I don't look forward to six months of trying to get the poop planks scraped and rinsed before they freeze and trying not to kill myself slipping on the ice that quickly forms from the run-off! There's a lot to be said for deep-litter bedding for winter.

Chickens can be pretty entertaining, though, when they slip trying to walk on ice! LOL!

greyeyes......Come up here and we'll show you snow! See the pretty pine trees in the background too?

And no, my chickens hate it. Here's the proof.
IMG_2135.jpg

Last edited:
In small amounts they will tolerate it--deep stuff they will have nothing to do with. Normally when we get a lot I won't bother opening the hatch--saves me plowing through the stuff to close it again.

I have a third stall inside that abuts where I am putting the coop. Maybe I could put a pop door to it and fill that stall with sand....sort of as an indoor run for winter. What do you think?

Quote:
Wow, that sounds great! Really! (And even Central Valley California chickens would like that - it would be an ocean-less beach! Just not during the summer unless there is A/C.)

Really, if you have the space and materials to do that, that would be great for your chickens. I mean, as far as someone without snowy winters can imagine.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom