Do Chickens Really Need a Run?

Do Chickens Really Need a Run?

• Yes

Votes: 24 82.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
i look at it like many here, sunshine, the earth beneath your feet, and fresh air is important to our happiness. To my dog and cat also. they love to bask in the warm sunlight. just today, my hen, Fluffy, laid down in the grass to soak up the sun. it brings a feeling of well being. These are my pets, i want them to be happy, therefore we've got a big run. BUT, if the chickens are something else, well, then it's up to you.

Lol, dogs and coyotes in my horse pastures are just entertainment for the horses... they chase dogs and would probably pancake one if they got close enough.

I had one horse who thought his mission was to eradicate ANYTHING on four legs. The neighbor would be down a few dogs if he'd still been here! I think if they try chasing the ones I have now it would be a massive problem! The coyotes are kept at bay by the perimeter fence which has hotwire along the top!

I think its all ultimately a space discussion to make sure amateurs don't end up with health or behavior problems. I mean, Justin Rhodes uses a 1sf/bird coop number, but he also ranges them during the day. The coop is just a covered roost bar in essence

I think its all ultimately a space discussion to make sure amateurs don't end up with health or behavior problems. I mean, Justin Rhodes uses a 1sf/bird coop number, but he also ranges them during the day. The coop is just a covered roost bar in essence
Yup, the Chickshaw

I have only have three hens and want to keep them safe from all predators. They have a comfortable but small coop (3' X 4') with an automated door and a 10' X 14' run covered run protected by hardware cloth on all sides and a 18" apron around the base. The pen has several roosts and stumps and a sand base for easy cleanup. The door to the pen has two locking mechanisms - so far we have defeated visiting fox, raccoons, hawks and even a bear! We always make sure they get greens. It has made this adventure so easy and so far, the girls are happy and kept safe!

I consider myself sort of selfish due to the fact that my first thought when pondering the original question was about the poop situation. A run of any size added to a coop means the poop is going to be less concentrated and therefore require less regular maintenance. I guess you could counter my claim by saying that a 200 square foot coop will have the same amount of cleaning as a 200 square foot run, and you would technically be correct. But assuming the run is not completely covered and shielded from the elements, there is a higher chance of being able to do deep litter or other methods that allow for less maintenance due to weather exposure.

Great discussion! Sounds like there aren't any real right or wrong answers, but a lot of factors to consider. We started with a small pre-fab coop and 4 chicks and surrounded it with chain link. The next summer we built a 6x10 walk-in coop for 12 hens that we allowed to free-range on .75 acres all day. But we realized they didn't like going the Idaho rain and snow and we felt like the coop was too small on those days they didn't venture outside -- they didn't have any peace and quiet when they were trying to lay in the nests. So that next summer we added an enclosed covered run which added another 123 or so sq feet. We now have 20 chickens (chicken math) and they have the choice to free-range or stay inside. The 'run' is really an extension of the coop as it stays completely dry. We haven't had any issues with predators when they free range, but I know I can lock them up if I need to. For us, the # of chickens, space, our Idaho weather, and potential predators where factors in deciding to build the run. Plus, I read that you shouldn't keep food and water in the coop (attracts pests, etc).

No, chickens do not NEED a run if they have the necessary coop space. But like many people already said, chickens just seem "happy" outdoors, and a well-built run keeps them safe from predators. I'm getting six chickens in July, and I have a run in the works right now that's 8 feet x 16 feet (128 sf) that will provide around 21 sq. feet per chicken (in addition to their coop, which is small). It will have swings, perches, food, dust bathes, and other enrichment sort of things to keep the chickens "happy". Content chickens with plenty of space don't have time to bully each other as much.

Yes, being outdoors in a run does open up possibilities for the chickens to get diseases from wild birds, but does keeping them cooped up do any favors to their immune systems? Exposure to diseases can make chickens more resistant to them.

Plus, they are descended from wild birds, so they've got the love of the outdoors in their blood. It's probably instinctual for them to want to be outside, sort of like a house cat that wants to go outdoors. But just like people build "catios" that are large patios covered with hardware clothe that allows the cats to go outside without running wild or possibly getting hit by a car, so chickens have runs that let them go outside to enjoy the fresh air without being taken by predators.

By the way, I am speaking more from a urban chicken keeper perspective, not as a farmer with lots of land. I live on a small quarter acre lot in the middle of the city. My birds can't free-range, or else every stray dog, cat, raccoon, skunk and hawk in the city would simply help themselves to a free chicken dinner (and perhaps some of the neighbors would too! :hmm)

Back
Top Bottom