do cortunix quail go broody

Sale price will depend a lot on market. Summer time I sell Coturnix chicks for $5 each, but the market where I live is really good. Winter time I make deals based on quantity but don't usually give a list price. Most of the winter I get around $3/head for coturnix chicks sometimes less. Button quail chicks don't have a very big market and I actually quit selling them because too many people were killing them. I sell adult buttons for $20 a pair. You will get exactly as much money out of it as you put in effort. Don't raise more birds than you are prepared to eat at any point in time.

Welcome to the 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

It's that time again! Every year, hundreds of members come together to set eggs to hatch on the exact same day - the day BEFORE Easter. As a group last year, we had 7,629 eggs set for hatching! If you are new to hatching, this is a great way to get a lot of help, tips and advise. Join in the fun for the largest BYC Hatch-a-long of the year!

Set Chicken eggs on Saturday, March 29th at Noon (whatever time zone you are in)

Other poultry breed setting dates listed below...

We want to hatch on April 19th, (the day BEFORE Easter Sunday)

button quail: 16 days to hatch; set April 3rd
coturnix quail: 18 days to hatch; set April 1st
seramas: 19 days to hatch; set March 31st
other bantam and LF: 21 days to hatch; set March 29th
bobwhite quail: 23 days to hatch; set March 27th
call duck: 26 days to hatch; set March 24th
mallard (derived) duck,goose, turkey, guinea: 28 days to hatch; set March 22nd
goose: 28 to 32 days to hatch; set March 18th - March 22nd
muscovy duck: 35 days to hatch; set March 15th
emu: approx. 53 days to hatch - set Feb 25th (for you "serious" hatchers)

Places to find hatching eggs:

BYC Buy ~ Sell ~ Trade Section: Chicken Hatching Eggs

SWAP THREAD: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/754060/the-new-crazy-24hr-auction-thread

JUST IN TIME HATCHING EGG AUCTION: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/754077/just-in-time-hatching-egg-auction-and-bin-thread/2100_50

Contests!

Yes, there will be a lot of contests! We will continue to update this section as contests begin.

If you are interested in donating a prize for the contests, please PM me.

A huge Thank You to @Sally Sunshine and @mlmddh for helping me with this Hatch-a-long again this year!
yaysmilesa-smiley.gif

my cortunix quail should start laying soon and i was wondering if they go broody or if i should get a incubator

I get broodies often now :) I've been breeding japs for 5 years now, gone through hundreds and never had a broody until one hatched 14 chicks out on February the 1st this year (the white quail). She had gone broody before and served half term but had been brutally beaten up by a hen wanting to use the nest to lay her eggs which ended up with both hens scalped; the broody now having a permanent scar which you can see in the photo. She came off the brood and the eggs hatched a week later in the incubator.

Her babies from then have since given me two hens sitting together and hatching about 20 eggs (bottom photo and first photo) while taking turns at eating and drinking. The rosetta one of the pair is terribly vicious and hisses at me, pecking if I come too close. The gold however is much more like a regular jap and loves a pat. They both however will roll eggs under their bodies like a broody bantam would, even though they cannot fit anymore under themselves. As shown in the next photo below.

I wouldn't get hopes up for getting some broodies like I have, as I said earlier I had one out of 5 years of "quail-ing" which gave them all a kickstart, but it can happen and most definatly will if more people notice the behaviour happening and completely encourage it.

I actually made a bobwhite broody while she was injured by accident while I had her in birdy hospital inside my brooder as I had nowhere else to put her, the chicks I had hatched the day before all huddled under her to keep warm despite there being a heat light. She had no idea at first and kept moving away until she caved in and became completely engrossed in her new chicks. She grew them to full size and still dropped food for them. One of her babies is the second photograph with her own hatched bobwhite chicks that she collected up by herself. She only hatched 7 and currently only has 5 left but she is a great mum. She also had been attacked on the day she hatched them by all the other quails (as I had no idea she was nesting as she was very well hidden) trying to eat her babies, and while defending them she got scalped in the process. Fully healed now :)

But I have a friend that hatched a bunch of quails under an old english bantam which went great until a cat ate them. But bigger bantams such as pekin and silkies aren't any good. D'uccles are great too I've heard.

LyrebirdJackie, would you consider selling some fertile eggs from the broody hens? Based on your spelling I'm guessing you're in the UK though. I'm not sure how fertile eggs would handle being shipped internationally.

Last edited:
Ya it would be great to get a bunch of eggs from different peoples hens that have gone broody. See if someone could get a small line going that starts going broody.

Back
Top Bottom