Do I have to use Hardware Cloth on the run?

All of my runs are welded wire 4' tall with a 2' chicken wire (1 inch hole) skirt.
100 LNFT of welded wire fence costs us $47 + Uncle Sam fee. 100 Ft of 2'X100" one inch chick wire costs us $12 + Uncle Sam fee.
20180402_123837.jpg

Most predators are nocturnal. Yard Birds should be secured in a sealed hutch during the dark hours. During the day light hours, a welded wire fence with a chicken wire skirt is more than enough to keep day time threats away from your investments.
Some of the smaller breeds are a flight risk for a 4 ft tall fence. How we have managed to keep them from breaching the containing perimeter, was to install a low voltage hot wire.
IMG_20170806_091538.jpg
Suspended hot wires need a ground to be effective. This system we are using has 2 hot wires and one ground. Once the flighty birds discover that it is unpleasant to land on a zapper, as well as they need something stable to perch upon, they learn quickly that it is not a wise thing to repeat.
IMG_20170806_091627.jpg

Now security against raptors is a whole different topic.

All of my runs are welded wire 4' tall with a 2' chicken wire (1 inch hole) skirt.
100 LNFT of welded wire fence costs us $47 + Uncle Sam fee. 100 Ft of 2'X100" one inch chick wire costs us $12 + Uncle Sam fee.View attachment 1325740
Most predators are nocturnal. Yard Birds should be secured in a sealed hutch during the dark hours. During the day light hours, a welded wire fence with a chicken wire skirt is more than enough to keep day time threats away from your investments.
Some of the smaller breeds are a flight risk for a 4 ft tall fence. How we have managed to keep them from breaching the containing perimeter, was to install a low voltage hot wire.View attachment 1325767 Suspended hot wires need a ground to be effective. This system we are using has 2 hot wires and one ground. Once the flighty birds discover that it is unpleasant to land on a zapper, as well as they need something stable to perch upon, they learn quickly that it is not a wise thing to repeat.View attachment 1325768
Now security against raptors is a whole different topic.

Thats actually really great idea,didn’t even consider poultry netting as an option as everyone I have talked to has said it’s a horrible idea.

Poultry netting by itself is weak. It in conjunction with welded wire works well. Poultry netting will keep out the weak predators. It will also prevent raccoons from reaching thru easily to grab your chickens.

I don't understand the idea of using the HWC for the first few feet and then switching to bigger fencing. Wouldn't anything that can't fit through the HWC, but can fit through the other fencing just climb up to the other fencing? What am I missing? Also, if you are buying 100' roles of HWC, I don't think you can beat https://www.critterfence.com/metal-fence-rolls They have it heights up to 8' as well, which I think is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom