Do people raise quail to sell eggs for consumption?

I've talked to my fav. gourmet Chinese restaurant. If I wanted to sell eggs, well there is a huge market. Pickled quail eggs are also considered a delicacy in European countries and seems to be catching on over here in the states
smile.png

Another question... would they be more likely to buy eggs from buttons or a larger quail egg? (I have some larger quail eggs in the bator & due next week, but not sure of the breed)

I buy them are 25$ for 50 shipping included... guess that's about .50 an egg. Those are hatching eggs though... Honestly, I just want them to enjoy and be self sustainable and havn't looked hard at the resale market.

They are just too tastey!

Are they pure white? They should be bobwhites then. If they're brown with black speckles, they're coturnix. I'm not sure of the other quail (valley, cali's, etc).
Asian markets usually buy the Japanese (coturnix) quail eggs. Your best bet would probably be small scale, local sales. Otherwise, you need permits and all kinds of things to sell to restaurants, markets and the like. Bobwhites are also illegal to trade, barter, gift, etc in some states (maybe just PA?), without a license.

They're pretty versatile. Supposedly, (keep in mind I don't actually eat eggs) they're wonderful pickled and you can pickle them in an asian soy sauce type recipe, beet juice, or regular pickling. Quail Eggs Benedict are a HUGE delicacy especially when topped with caviar. You can fry them and put them on a salad, eat them plain boiled with soy sauce and lemon......hollandaise......I guess it's pretty exciting out there for quail egg producers.

Back
Top Bottom