do roos *mount* roos? silkie related...

klf73

Mad Scientist
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I have a buff silkie that I thought was a pullet. It has a single comb and was always smaller. The roo that hatched with it always protected it. It has always been demure. I figured it was a she because the single comb was always pretty small. Well, not long ago it developed streamers, which I am told is only on boys. So, no big deal, it's pretty quiet. Today I saw the cochin roo mounting *him*, not successfully, but mounting and trying none the less. Is my roo confused? Or is he just as confused as me

CTChickenMom

Songster
11 Years
Jan 5, 2009
SE Connecticut
In other species, males mounting males is often a sign of dominance. The more dominant roo is telling the other that he's the boss. Did the other roo crouch down and let Big Roo try?

klf73

Mad Scientist
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
Quote:no, but none of the hens/pullets do, there are too many roos, which are being rehomed Tuesday. So I will have to see what happens after that

sandypaws

Songster
11 Years
Nov 12, 2008
desert of calif
yup.. i had an agressive bantie mix roo.... and his male "friend" he would mount all the time....
last week i "found them a home"....i tossed them both over the fence for the coyotes..
and i STILL have to many roos!!!!

Top Bottom