do roos *mount* roos? silkie related...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by klf73, Mar 21, 2009.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have a buff silkie that I thought was a pullet. It has a single comb and was always smaller. The roo that hatched with it always protected it. It has always been demure. I figured it was a she because the single comb was always pretty small. Well, not long ago it developed streamers, which I am told is only on boys. So, no big deal, it's pretty quiet. Today I saw the cochin roo mounting *him*, not successfully, but mounting and trying none the less. Is my roo confused? Or is he just as confused as me [​IMG]

2. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    In other species, males mounting males is often a sign of dominance.

3. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    In other species, males mounting males is often a sign of dominance. The more dominant roo is telling the other that he's the boss. Did the other roo crouch down and let Big Roo try?

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:no, but none of the hens/pullets do, there are too many roos, which are being rehomed Tuesday. So I will have to see what happens after that [​IMG]

5. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    yup.. i had an agressive bantie mix roo.... and his male "friend" he would mount all the time....
    last week i "found them a home"....i tossed them both over the fence for the coyotes..
    and i STILL have to many roos!!!!

6. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    I have a banty rooster that will mount a rabbit [​IMG] ... why not another roo, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by