Do they actaully like me ...or am I just an interesting new roost?

gocrow77

Crow's Nest
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Central MO
Every moring I go out to the coop the greet my girls and feed, water, and release them for free range time. When I do, our chicks - that were handled alot by the way, and brought buggy treats when they were in their broody cage - will climb and jump in my lap, even climbing on my shoulder etc. Some will even settle in my lap for a nice warm nap. My question is: Do they actaully like me - this seems awful affectionate for chickens - or am I just an interesting "new roost" when I come in and sit with them awhile?

Aimee

They like you
big_smile.png
Mine do that same thing. They see me coming and the wait at the coop door in a big pile.

I know, I know... chicken friends don't have the ability to love... blah blah blah....

THEY LOVE YOU!!! You are their very best friend and they want to shower you with love and affection!!! At least, in my world, that's what it is!

wee.gif
That is good to hear! I have been told everything from : " they just know you bring their food " to " you are just something interesting to them - like a new jungle gym for birds" My kids and I, who spent hours collecting the bugs and watching them go nuts for them- were convinced they like us. My hubby says "don't hold your breath, they might change once they start laying". Is he right will my sweet girls hate me when I try to get their eggs? I don't mean if they are broody - I expect them to get defensive then. But, when they get older say 1 year, will they stop greeting me and become more wild? BTW, our 2 barred rock girls are THE MOST affectionate and always ( even outside when they are foraging ) come and sit awhile in our laps to hang out - I don't want that to change! I know they can't be "our babies" forever but I do hope they keep their sweet dispositions.
big_smile.png

Aimee

I have wild and crazy new chicks up to 3 year old hens. The more time you spend in with them, the more they will enjoy your company, too. I have sort of put myself in as "alpha" and the girls respect me as much as I them. They see me as the bringer of goodies and treats and I sit and have them eat out of my hand. When one gets a little too aggressive, I just poke them and they back off right away. My friends and I have a great relationship. I have a very friendly Barred Rock and one that is curious, but not the most friendly. Ones that I lost to a serious case of Coryza were the most friendly 1 year old hens in the world. Stay around them, have them eat out of your hand, talk to them... you won't have a problem with them becoming distant.

As for egg picking... unless you have a broody, you will have no problem. 90% of my girls lay, hop out of the nest box and call to me "bok bok bok BBOOOOKKKKK" which means "Come see my EGG!!!" I walk right in as they are STILL announcing 3 minutes later and just pick them up. They don't mind. They are very proud! If you try to collect an egg that HenA laid while HenB is sitting in the next trying to lay... she will likely give you a small peck. In other words, don't stick your hand under a chicken butt
wink.png

Wow. I rambled a lot. I'm super tired but I hope that it makes sense!

I hate to tell you this people but if you quit being the source of food and treats your chickens "love for you" will disappear.

Quote:
It's a good thing that I plan to feed them for the rest of their lives! It would be a shame to spend oodles of money on them just to stop feeding them, find out that it was only covered love and watch them all die of starvation!

Last edited:
I think what is happening here is a difference between chickens as pets or chickens as livestock. A needless debate, because they can be both!
big_smile.png

I have raised chickens for over 16 years now, and my observation is that if you treat them as pets they will MOSTLY behave as pets. The affection is triggered by food and treats more than anything. But, if you aren't ever vigilant, they will just as soom peck your shiny eyeball out.

If you treat them as livestock, they will still run to greet you, because you are bringing food! They do make the connection that you are their friend and food supplier. And yes, they do "love" you- but you have food.

Chickens don't seem quite capable of the love that other animals can comprehend. They are very close, but they are so food oriented that it doesn't quite sink in. They do seem to mourn lost friends, grieve for each other, but to tell you the truth, I think it more the loss of routine than it is personal loss.

Look at it this way- if you are injured in an accident, a dog will stay with you- a chicken will leave you on your own, because you have no more food.

Either way, enjoy their company, as they will enjoy yours!
smile.png

Quote:
Fun killer.
smile.png

But he speaks the truth. Chickens are not usually "loyal companions". They really are little eating machines, and affection is only motivated by food. There are exceptions, but they are rare.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom