Do they still squat after they start laying?

LisaCammie

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 17, 2011
Foothills of North Carolina
I have four hens and one is laying - not sure which one. Two have been following me around a little more than usual and automatically squat when I talk to them. sooo sweet. I'm wondering if squatting is just a precurser to laying or if they continue to squat after they start laying. Just trying to narrow down the layer.

Fred's Hens :

The squat is a sign of submission, so if they were squatters before, they'll likely still be squatter after point of lay.

I agree. Chickens who squat are more common if you don't have a rooster but mine usually only do it if I walk up on them and only the flocks without roosters. So like Fred said it's a submission thing and a desire to breed. It really has little to do with egg production.​

I have four SS pullets almost six months old. Two of the little ladies squatted for me today. Very PROPER squats, if I do say so!

None of these four has laid their first egg yet. It has been my experience that squatting precedes beginning to lay. The hens who did so prior to laying their first egg continue to squat for me.

I am anxiously awaiting these first eggs from my youngest four! Ought to be very soon now.

I'm no expert - but my hens still squat if I walk up on them - and they started laying this past summer. And we have a rooster in the flock.

By 'eck they will.
gig.gif

Mine squatted continuously from about the age of three months to fifteen months. They do tend to stop as they get older, I notice. Hormone levels dying down I suppose.
lol.png

Last edited:
my silkies have never squatted, but when i see hens doing it i always thought it was because they were scared or something?? anyways, why do they do it? if it has to do with breeding we always have at least one rooster hanging around.

Back
Top Bottom