Do we want ducks?

mamaluvschick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 26, 2012
Kersey Colorado, USA
We have a lot of chickens but my kids really would like to have ducks? So I would like to know the benefits of having them? Do they lay eggs enough like chickens? I think ducks are cute but not sure if we should get them. If anyone could help me with my decision I would appreciate it.

Ducks are:

Personable

Eating and Hatching eggs go for more around here

People allergic to chicken eggs are not always allergic to duck eggs

Some breeds like the runner are excellent egg layers while others are great broodies.

The main thing is ducks have the potential to be very messy especially in pens

Ask again in about 6 months. I'm adding ducks. The little quackers aren't quite a week old right now.
smile.png

Ducks are:

Personable

Eating and Hatching eggs go for more around here

People allergic to chicken eggs are not always allergic to duck eggs

Some breeds like the runner are excellent egg layers while others are great broodies.

The main thing is ducks have the potential to be very messy especially in pens

X2

also drakes will get aggresive so if you do get ducks unless you really want to breed stick with hens,

Do you want ducks?

Yes.

There you go :) Helpful, aren't I?

One of my runners laid over 300 eggs last year. She' molting like crazy now, so nada from either (both are seriously molting).
I have only 2, so they aren't loud. They get loud if they want food and their dish is empty, but that doesn't happen often. They do chat, but it is typically quiet.
Mine free range and are only closed in at night, so not too messy.
I built them a nice raised pond. Their food and water is near their night house and covered from the weather.

I hose out their house once a week (more in summer) and change bedding then as well (add to it during the week) and hose off the top of the steps to the pond every few days and any poop they deposit on the sidewalk - they don't hang out on it now, so they aren't really pooping on it.
They have lots of room, so they don't dig huge holes in my yard.

If you walked into my back yard, you'd never really know there were ducks until you see them.

some breeds like runner and Campbell can out lay any breed of chicken with eggs . they prefer to forage in swampier areas of the yard and 15 ducks on an acre of land can wipe out the slug population and reduce the mosquito population by more then half in a 1 acre area. they seem to have more personally then a chicken. they don't have a pecking order like a chicken.

males are the horniest things on two legs on the planet during the breeding season and can "love" a female to death with this affection usually 1 male and 1-3 females is good as to give the female a little brake.

but for a flock 1 male for every 4- 6 females are better for a flock..

males can be aggressive but not as bad as chickens, males will tolerate each other and form bachelor gangs dividing up a yard with there lady friends
water is the must important thing for a duck

Of COURSE we do!

Oh, wait, you had more to that than the subject line....

Ducks don't NEED water but it IS the most important thing to a duck (from its standpoint, that is). A small kiddie pool will do for them.

Females are louder than males. Cayugas are fairly quiet ducks, as a breed. I love mine!!

Ducks drill holes in the ground with their bills, anywhere there is water. Puddles from rain. Drips from the hose connection at the faucet. At the edge of their water dish - oh and they need a deeper waterer than chickens, because they have to get their bills into the water to clear out their nostrils!

I have had both but not at the same time. Here is my take on them.

Chickens are meaner in the pecking order then ducks.
Ducks are messier then chickens.
Certain duck breeds and some specific hybrids lay better then chickens. Like my Golden 300 hybrids from Metzer Farms, one has laid almost nonstop for about 1 1/2 years now (my best layer)
Duck eggs are usually bigger, more nutritious by weight and better in baking. (and I think better tasting)
Duck eggs do taste a bit different although they are similar. Best to try duck eggs from someone before getting ducks if you are getting them for the eggs. Some don't like the flavor quite as well.
Ducks naturally love to eat slugs. Some chickens will eat them but others must be trained to eat slugs.
Chickens scratch/dig for bugs, worms and seeds. Ducks will do lots of little dibble holes looking for bugs, slugs and worms.
If your thinking of them as meat birds ducks are much harder to pluck.
Some males of both species can be problematic. Drakes should probably be kept away from chickens (the drakes may try to mate with the chickens and the anatomy is not compatible)
Ducks are party animals. Chickens will give you looks that could kill after the sun goes down and they want to be asleep.
Ducks like the rain and mud and sun and clouds. Chickens prefer nice sunny dry weather. Neither like hail/ lightening/ thunder.
Ducks I have heard do better in cold weather then chickens. (I have a moderate climate so I can't really say one way or the other)

For me ducks are much better. I like their personalities better. I have a lot of rain. I have slugs. I have a garden and they do less damage to it then chickens did (easier to fence). Plus I swear ducks smile. I had chickens but no more. If I ever moved to a desert I would go back to chickens but I would always miss my ducks.

Back
Top Bottom