Do you feed your chickens meat....(like chicken)?

Quote:
you better get out the bicarbonate, sounds like their gonna need it.
lol.png

Every year we have two beef steers butchered, but this is the first time I've ever asked for scraps and suet to feed the chickens. The butcher was mortified and disgusted that I'd feed chickens MEAT! I haven't fed poultry yet but they sure do love beef organ meat and pecking away at soup bones.

Tossed yesterday Thanksgiving turkey carcass into the hens yesterday.  What a feast they had.  I thought they were gonna burst!!!!  I'll expect some huge eggs in a day or two. :D
:D

My turkeys, chickens, ducks and geese all cleared that turkey carcass to just bones.

Why use beetles to clear bones? Chickens do a fine job!

I always throw my boned game carcasses in the layer pen. In about 3 days it is clean. I aquired a 5 gal bucket of garlic bread butter mix that looked like lard with garlic flavor. I took the lid off and the girls devoured that whole bucket in about a week.

When I butcher I sometimes have to fight off the chickens cause they will take the cracass from me, when processing a deer in the yard I step on the hens trying to catch bits of fat, meat and blood........ chickens are omnivorous and we should not forget it and feed accordingly, it makes for much healthier birds then on purely vegetarian fed birds(I tested it for 2 yrs, 1 pen all vegan and 1 pen that gets everything! The Vegan hens were never as shiny and nicely feathered and the eggs were less flavourful according to the costumers).
Now when people ask me if the hens are purely grain fed when they buy eggs I tell them no, my chickens are not malnutritioned they have a balanced diet. Answer from them is; arent grains a balanced diet?.......

Thanks everyone!!! My ladies are about to get a treat..some "old" not spoiled ground beef. They already love me f their oatmeal with banana and yoghurt ...kitchen veggie scraps and spinich ..

Back
Top Bottom