Do you know any paranoid people?

peepsandquacks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
My mom is terrified of touching the ducks. She is CONVINCED they have the bird flu and/or some other deadly illness, and she freaks out when I let my kids touch them.

She even asked me when I bought them, before they were shipped "have they been tested for the bird flu", and of course I said no and she says "are you sure you want them then?!".

Uggh.

Anyone else know any paranoid people?

don't know anyone who is paranoid about getting sick from ducks BUT i had that problem when i raised pigeons.Everyone kept telling me i was going to contract pigeon lung and die ....yeeeears later i'm still hanging around.
it must be sad for your mom to be stressed out so much, worrying about your welfare. You should tell her how disease resistant ducks tend to be . maybe that would help?

Pigeon lung...never heard of that one! Well its a good thing you beat the odds and never cought it. I wonder how those new yorkers survive!!!!

I told her that they are very disease resistant. She doesnt care....she wont go near them out of fear she will catch something.

Now that the guinneas are here, I would be surprised if she doesnt come over tomarrow w/ a face mask on!! (I am totally not kidding!!)

pigeon lung...breathing in too much pigeon poo/debris ...guess if you don't keep them clean and let it all rot down to dust basically ,then inhale....idk...sounds too much like work getting it.
you are going to give your mom a fit...does she know that you have guineas yet?
wish that my MIL would've felt that way about birds, we would have gotten along alot better that way...she'd have stayed home and i would have been 800 miles away from her temper. LOL
forgot to mention...she LIKES all kinds of birds...at least there's THAT redeeming quality about her.

Last edited:
Our entire school system!!!!
My oldest girl had a great teacher in 6th grade and for science I took in chicks and hens and and a bantam roo. The kids asked so many questions. Even the principal came down to visit. My other daughter had the same teacher for 6th grade this year. The girls are 14 years apart. I offered the same program for her class. The teacher was so excited! Well our idiotic Board of Ed said absolutely not. They could not expose their students to animals that contain diseases or could be dangerous. They said they were protecting their students from infectious disease caused by birds. And they call themselves educators. I said the kids wouldn't touch them. They still said no.
he.gif

Maybe I'm getting old but I think the world is heading down hill. Most of my daughter's friends won't even get their hands dirty.
Sorry for rambling
duc.gif

mhwc56- well thats good to know if I ever decide to start snorting pigeon poop dust with dollar bills! It could harm me! :p
She knows I have guinneas. She said Im crazy. LOL. Thats why I really expect her to come over with a face mask (I have a very clean house BTW) so she doesnt 'catch' something.

Ben- I live in farm country, so everyone around here is covered in either cow, chickie, or goat mess in the afternoon. My kids teachers were asking me all week if I got my guinnea hens yet in excitement! I agree, people are waaaaay to paranoid about getting dirty. Ya know, we did survive the past TOUSANDS of years with out purell :p!
Thats too bad you couldnt bring the babies in! That would have been fun!

Horse- LOL yes, a duck card with a feather in it! That way some of the ducks MANY 'deadly' pathogens will fall out. LOL that would totally freak her out.

I brought the gosling to work- one of my coworkers has an elderly pekingese- I was holding the gosling up to her, and she started to give it a kiss. One of the VETS I work with screamed, "Dont let her LICK IT!!!!" And I say, "why on earth not?" and she said- she will get germs.
A vet.
I said, "Who? The gosling?" and she said "No! that thing probably has tons of nasty germs that the dog doesnt need to be exposed to."
ep.gif

Quote:
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

all of us bird lovers should be DEAD from bird diseases i guess...personally i think i may have kissed MORE birds than people in my 55 yrs ...hehehehehe

hide.gif
Why do you want to know if I know any paranoid people? Who are you? Have you been following me and watching me? Are all these other people here because you're having them watch me, too?

Find a new hobby, take up duck keeping or something.

Back
Top Bottom