Do you lie to your chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gritsar, Aug 6, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's a long story, but we were gone all day today and when we got home and checked on the chickens, Airhead was looking a llittle under the weather so I brought her in the house. It was late and I was trying to prepare a quick supper and keep an eye on her at the same time. I told her all about the turkey I was cooking for the beings (us humans) to eat. After I put her back out and while I was taking supper out of the oven, my SO and I had the following conversation:
    Him: I thought you said we were having turkey for supper.
    Me: No, we're having chicken.
    Him: But I could swear I heard you tell Airhead we were having turkey for supper.
    Me: Well, you don't think I'd tell her the truth do you?!?

Why does he always look at me so funny and walk away mumbling? [​IMG]

2. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    LOL!

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

[​IMG]

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I lie to them sometimes...my DH does not lie to them, however. Before we butchered our roos, we separated them from the rest of the flock. I seem to recall my DH telling them they were going to make good soup.

5. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Make sure you change other names like: Kentucky Fried Turkey...Turk-fil-A...etc
    LOL, I think what you said was cute. I would probably do the same thing.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    No. Having spent my whole life training animals for people I know they mostly respond to tone of voice aside from picking up on a few certain words. You can swear at them all you want but so long as you do it with a nice tone of voice and body language they won't have a clue your mad. So if I was processing a roo I'd probably scoop it up to move it half singing "time for you to turn into soup" or something like that.

7. Curlita

Curlita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    We have a deal -- they don't lie to me, I don't lie to them.

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    We believe in telling our little ones the honest truth.

Sometimes the devil makes us taunt them with "this is your cousin" whilst barbequeing up a tasty chicken dinner. Get behind me, satan!

9. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    LoL...whatever I make doesn't require lying to my animals about what it is....unless its tofu and even then I have to lie to myself LoL

10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Chickens will never lie to you.

Unless she's a broody trying to find a way to get back into her nestbox after you've tossed her out for the billionth time ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by