Do young pullets lay around more than older hens?

cleopatra

Songster
8 Years
Jun 14, 2012
South Texas
I have 2 new pullets about 3 months old. I raised 3 hens last year, but I was new to chickens and didn't let them free range every afternoon like I do now. Those older hens never stop scratching and pecking around, but the little ones do this for a short while and then find a nice comfy spot to lay down. Is this normal?

I was wondering the same thing. First time raising chickens. I've got an 11wk old RIR and a 10wk old BO. They sit around a lot and sit up in the roost. I was expecting them to peck around all day and save the roost for sleep. Otherwise they seem to be healthy, except the BO drops its wings sometimes.

My ladies (old and young alike) love to get out in the morning, find the sunny dirt pile, roll around in the dirt and make themselves a little nest and take a nap.
Most of the day they'll get up and scratch and peck, but then they'll head off to find a resting spot. Young chickens still sleep a lot, so perhaps that's what you're seeing...
[or maybe I have lazy chickens]
lol.png

I also have a bunch of ~10wk old chicks, and two older hens. The older hens do seem to nap less. They tend to wander around the run slowly just seeing what they can find and don't really stop much all day. The younger ones run around, work on the pecking order, jump on the food and water, then disappear into the coop or a shady spot to lay down. Then an hour or so later, back to the craziness. The seem to be up and down like that all day. So I'm guessing this is normal behaviour.

Hi everyone my chicken are know 5 1/2 old an i put them out side all day an bring them in at night. They basicy have all there feathers know. But when I put them in there coop they don't go outside I always have to pick them up an place them out side. It is like in the 80s here. They they don't go back inside the coop to eat or drink, ik they eat bugs ect but what about the water???

Mine are free ranging from around 1:30 in the afternoon until the sun goes down and it just started to get into the 90s here. They go in and out all day to get water and sometimes food. I think they'll go back in if they want something.

Back
Top Bottom