May 29, 2019
Okay, so, a few of our flock of 7 hens (about 20 weeks old now) REALLY love to get their bellies rubbed, in particular my Barred Rock and Easter Egger. It literally puts them into a lull--they'll let their wings droop, dozily chatter, and start to fall asleep no matter the time of day. Often they'll try to lay on my hand. And if one sees another getting a belly rub on the roost (in the run), they will clamor up to get their own belly rub.

Seriously these few chickens will sit for this special treatment for hours--they don't seem to tire of it. I've read about affectionate chickens, but has anyone else stumbled across the belly rub magic? It almost seems like a secret button.

I have never tried belly rubbing my girls, they're not all that affectionate, and I guess that can depend on the breed. Mine are RIRs. I do have a very sweet one that likes to he held and hugged, but sometimes she has her moments of, 'don't mess with me right now'. She likes the back stroke, I'll run my hand down her back, and she squishes down and shuffles along. So cute! I have another chicken that if you manage to get hold of her and plop her in your lap, she'll turn into a puddle and squat there all mushed down in my lap while I stroke her.

Some of my 70+ BO hens love belly rubs but others could care less. With all of the same breed I have to be careful who I rub because I might either get my eyes pecked out or cuddles
I have never tried belly rubbing my girls, they're not all that affectionate, and I guess that can depend on the breed. Mine are RIRs. I do have a very sweet one that likes to he held and hugged, but sometimes she has her moments of, 'don't mess with me right now'. She likes the back stroke, I'll run my hand down her back, and she squishes down and shuffles along. So cute! I have another chicken that if you manage to get hold of her and plop her in your lap, she'll turn into a puddle and squat there all mushed down in my lap while I stroke her.
Chicken puddles are the best

Back
Top Bottom