Does any body elses muscoveys wander?

poultrykeeper08

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Agawam , Ma
i hve had muscoveys in the past and they would never leave my property . I had to get rid of my old ones 2 years ago and decided to get another pair last fall . up until 3 weeks ago they to would never leave my yard they would just either follow the geese around or stay in the run area . My female just laid 13 eggs and now they go EVERY WHERE . Our houses on the street are spaced from 20 feet apart to about 50 and they have gone as far down as about 30 houses . We found out they have been jumping in nieghbors kiddie pools taking a little swim and then going on their ways ,jumping into peoples koi ponds AND worse of all they are crossing the street . NOCK ON WOOD that when they have crossed iether there are no cars around or people get out of their cars and "shew" them off the street .

Is there any reason why they are doing this ? Is it because they are breeding ? i dont want a eagle or hawk to get them (both have nests on our street ) or get eaten by a cyote or fox or even get hit by a car

will this stop ??

mine(3month) stay in the yard. somebody accidently left the gat e open overnight the went outthe gate, about 10 ft, turned around and marched back in . thats where i found them in the morning

Mine do too, they wonder where it seems to be open field, bugs must taste better over yonder!!!
We plan to fence ours, so we don't make anyone mad, really no one cares except my SIL across the street!
I will clip their wings too!
Brenda

The more they free range, the more they will eventually wander. If they are left free ranging than they will only wander more. All birds do that when they free range, not just the scovies.
If you don't want them wandering, then I would suggest a fence. Other then that they are great at controlling pests.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom