does anybody have any rabbit questions

Hello everyone: Farmgirl987, Have you had any experience with a bunny that has teeth that grow at an abnormal rate? The Humane Society has a little bunny that they can't seem to place. They said that the teeth would have to be trimmed every six months. I am a sucker for problem "children".
roll.png
What do you think? Thanks, Donna

That's not a problem-you can take it to the vet and they can show you how to trim the teeth. There was just a thread about a woman whos bunny had ingrown teeth here on BYC-took him to the vet and had them trimmed, now he's good
smile.png

Maclussion can be a nightmare for the rabbit, if a constant check on growth isnt handled correctly the teeth can and will grow into the jaw either upper or lower depending on which teeth are involved

even with trimming the teeth you can still have issue with feedings.
I have seen in experienced people shatter their rabbits teeth using a pair of side cutters. and yes thats what the vet will use.
Vets have also been known to shatter teeth, poke a gum line and cause infection.

Back molars are often weak and grown out wrong also. compensating for the front teeth when the rabbit can get food in its mouth.
and the clipping of teeth is NOT every 6 months its when its needed which in some rabbits can be every 3 to 4 weeks. cost is generally $30.00 to $50.00 per visit.

Personally any rabbit with pulled teeth or teeth that do not grow straight should NEVER have been sold or given away. thats passing off an expensive bill to some unsuspecting pet person. and likely the reason the rabbit is at the $helter.

Malclussion is genetic. meaning it WILL be passed onto future generations and a nightmare for anyone buying or recieving a rabbit from this line.

Pulling teeth on the wire is not genetic and will not be passed on. pulled teeth generaly are a result of the rabbit wanting attention or food and it grabs the wire and yanks for all it is worth. misaligning the teeth, which sometimes can or can not be corrected.

Teeth problems should be dealt with immediately upon finding , its more humane to put the rabbit down than to let it die of starvation. which if not caught in time is the assured outcome. They should NEVER find their way into a pet home.

I agree with what you said, but it sounds like the poster is willing to try and give the rabbit a good home. I think if you are willing to put the time and $$ into treating the teeth issues, there is no reason to not try and give this rabbit a chance. I think most shelters require the bunny to be fixed, so breeding it shouldn't even be an issue. Of course it would have been better if the breeder didn't let this animal out into a pet situation, but there the poor bunny is-waiting for a chance.
smile.png

Quote:
that is called malclusion if it is a little baby then take something and clip the bottom teeth only if they are babies

Quote:
that is called malclusion if it is a little baby then take something and clip the bottom teeth only if they are babies

clipping the bottom teeth in babys will not correct the top teeth malclussion.
malclussion ( wolf teeth), butting teeth are serious issues that should be taken care of properly and with an experienced person doing the clipping,
The Vet can teach you how to clip properly and safely.

Chances are being in a shelter it is not a baby its an adult.
unfortunately not all shelters require rabbits to be spayed, there are those out there that just pawn them off no questions asked no altering necessary.

In 20 years of raising/breeding and showing rabbits I have never had a case of malclussion in my barn from my own animals,.
I bought one litter of baby Silver Fox from another breeder and didnt notice the teeth on one doe untill I got it home.
needless to say the litter did not stay.

Hi farmgirl987, We have a silver marten buck that is about 5 months old. He is my daughters pet He lives in the house for htis winter. When we let him out of his cage for exersize has go after my corgi dog and bites her on the belly or front shoulder. She is very afraid of him. Why does he do his and do you know of a way to stop him short of the stew pot? Thank you very much

I have to agree with coffeemama. I have been breeding, and show rex rabbits for many many years,and I to have had rabbits since I was a kid. Just because you have had pet rabbits since you were a kid does not mean that you are an expert on the subject. I did read some of your replies, and some are to the answers are true, but I think someone with more experiance (a breeder who has been breeding for many years, or a vet) should be answering some of these questions. Wouldn't you feel horrible if you answered one of them incorrectly and something ended up happening? And if someone has a question about rabbits they will post it themselves, I do not think that one should be looking around for questions. For the women who asked about her rabbit being pregnant...rabbits give birth between 28-31days, not 21days.

Back
Top Bottom