Does Anybody Know Where To Get Pure Ameraucans Chicks?

CHICK CHICK BOM

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 1, 2013
Maine
I Have been trying to find somewhere to buy Ameraucana Chicks. I have ordered from many different places that say they are True Ameraucanas but when I get them they turn out to be Easter Eggers. I have spent so much money on buying and shipping. I feel like giving up on the breed and really don't want to. Please if anyone knows where I can get some of these beautiful birds and not Easter Eggers I would greatly appreciate any info you can give me to help.

Check out Sunnyside Up Micro-Farm, in Medina, Ohio. She has gorgeous BBS Ameraucanas, both LF and bantam, chicks, and eggs too I think. She does ship although I went up there to pick them up when
I bought six chicks this spring, saw her place (nice) and she's very nice to work with.
She has a good Facebook page, frequently updated with pictures, pricing and even specials. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the info. I did find them on Facebook and messaged them to see what they had for sale and they do have some Ameraucanas chicks. Do you still have yours and if so can you put a picture of them on so I can see what they look like. If you cant don't worry about it.

Hi,
Yes, I still have mine, they are only about 11 weeks old. Still trying to figure out who's a he and who's a she....already got some boys so these will need to be sold. I picked up six from her, ended up with three black, 2 splash and one dark blue/grey. So far I think I may only have one or two that are boys. I'd seen one of hers last November at the National Poultry Show in Columbus (OH) on her sale table, she was a beautiful bird (sold, of course), so I'd kept Sunnyside in mind for this spring.
Here's some pics I just took of some of them.

The two black ones are almost identical...still thinking pullets on these...the pic above is during preening, not some disfigured neck twist:)--view is from tailend.

Both the pic above and below are of the largest of them, a little lighter, pale dove grey with light splash marks.

The last pic below is the smaller of the splashes--thinking pullet.

Pictures taken May 30th...the other black has a scissorbeak that showed up at about 4-5 weeks of age. I did ask about that, the cause, breeding,etc...Jill said there's a lot of possible causes, such as issue during incubation, injury, genetic but she did not have any breeding birds with the problem. Apparently it can crop up occasionally...he wasn't injured, it came up gradually after he was a few weeks old and progressively got worse. He gets along fine, the most outgoing and inquisitive of all of them...not sure what I'll do with him but he won't be with the ladies for any breeding...

Thank you for the pictures you have beautiful chickens. They must be sold as straight run do you know if she does sell them sex at all?

Last edited:
John Blehm in Birch Run, Michigan. Really nice birds, but Probably done hatching this year. His website was Chickhatchery.com. The name has changes, but you should find the link there. He's also in the Ameracauna club site. Mary

Been there, done that!! Drove almost 3 hours to pick up "pure wheaten Ameraucana chicks" when I first started out only to find two of the pullets had scissor beaks (one died one managed to make it but I have to mix her own (powdered) feed), one turned out to be a rooster and one was "normal" although none of them are purebred.

Check out the Ameraucana Breeders Club
(www.ameraucana.org) and check the breeder listing to see if you can find someone in your area that has them and that you can go to. (Check out their set up. Ie: Are they keeping mixes of breeds together or do they have breeding pens to ensure pure offspring?). You should see their parent stock as well to make sure they look true to the breed and make sure their coloration is one of the accepted colors of the breed or else you'll be buying more Easter Eggers.

If you're not looking to exhibit, however, there is nothing wrong with an Easter Egger. My "normal" EE lays a beautiful BIG minty green egg and is one of the most prolific layers in my flock.

Sor
Thank you for the pictures you have beautiful chickens. They must be sold as straight run do you know if she does sell them sex at all?

Sorry! I never get notices that there's any response even though I'm
subscribed to the thread. Sunnyside Up sells the chicks straight run but occasionally has sexed juveniles available. More $$$ but of course they're older and you get what you want. More time and money in raising them. I wish you were closer--out of the six I bought from her I think I've got two, maybe three boys--I'm only keeping three pullets so I might have a pair to sell--black pullet and blue splash cockerel. But can't be sure yet!

Back
Top Bottom