Does anyone have a Muscovy that looks like this?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iajewel, Nov 7, 2011.

1. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I don't know if you can tell in the photo, but the red is on the cheek only and there is a white line down her neck. All photos were taken today, Nov 6, 2011. She is an immature hen.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    No u don't, but she is very pretty.

3. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    If all Muscovies were as darling as yours, I would have a big flock of my own. But for now, they freak me out. [​IMG]

I'm not seeing the white line you are referring to.

4. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    awe you should have some Muscovy are like dogs, they wag their tails and everything. You would love them. I do have other ducks, I have Cayuga and Pastel/buff, but the Muscovy are just beyond duck.

5. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    i have one very similar, same age. she is orange barred, but instead of white down the back of her neck she has a brown smudge. i was thinking she was tortora, but another thought was that the orange could be a colour mutation? her parents are silver split for bronze into blue pied split for bronze. i'm doing a bit of work with tortora at the moment to try and figure out exactly what they look like, "schaman" has a head start on me though![​IMG]

yours looks a little more apricot in colour in the photo with a white tinge instead of a silver tinge like mine. interesting stuff!

this is the best pic i have of her at the moment, its been hard to get a sunny day to try and pick up the colour with the camera.

[​IMG]

6. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:Me to but my kids love them....they kinda remind me of elephantiasis. if you're brave, google images on that one

7. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    since I don't have any "known" bronze in my flock. yes this is interesting. yes Mine is more apricot. Here are some pics of her at the same age your duckling is now...

[​IMG]

Here she is as a duckling. She is the most white one.

[​IMG]

This is a drake with the same pattern just darker. He is out of an aunt ( full sister to the mother of the hen) and the same drake. Basically exact genetics, just different mothers.

[​IMG]

I have had someone say that these are homozygous for blue and chocolate, however the hen shows no silver at all.. none.. not a spec of blue.

I would LOVE to see some good pics of your tortora birds to compare. Im starting to wonder if I don't have some bronze in my flock and don't know it.

Thank you for sharing and your help. I love unraveling the mystery that is the muscovy color.. [​IMG]

8. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    This is another color type I would LOVE to identify... since some of you that are not in the US have colors we dont'.. maybe someone here from anywhere but the US can help on this one too?
    Here it is in black

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here in Blue

[​IMG]

And here on a pied.

[​IMG]

9. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    i had several in my hatches this year. They looked just like your girl and i think they were all girls too.

10. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Quote:What color(s) were the parents? Do you know what color this would be called?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by