Does anyone have there dog SHAVED in the spring/ summer?

Quote:
Pugapoo.... ive never heard of that breed.... I was flipping through channles and watched a bit of AKC dog show and didnt notice a pugapoo. Maybe its a UKC breed...

A pugapoo is half pug and half poodle. They are very cute
big_smile.png

My pugapoo had a fawn pug daddy and a white mini poodle mama... he's black.
lol.png
One of the smartest, sweetest dogs I've ever known. Too bad his health isn't as great as he is.
sad.png

I had a little hairy dog years ago, that was always into the cockleburrs and stuff, so I would have my lady cut her pretty short only because of that, and she would hide for days because she was so upset. I think it depends upon the personality of the dog, but I know for most of the heavy coated dogs, it wasn't good to shear them because of insulation againest the heat and cold. The Great Pyrs that my alpaca people have do get them cut shorter, because they get so matted, and no way would you have time to comb them thoroughly every day with their massive size. Interesting thoughts here on this thread.

I clip my szi-poodle , well actually I shave her she has a skin condition, and the meds is 150.00 a tube, easier to clip her down and use tea tree oil or something like that otherwise she just rubs the hair off and makes a sore.She is probably 10 years or more old so i try to keep her as comfortably as possible. marrie

I'm about to give my mutt her first haircut. Not because of heat or anything, but she looks like a scraggly mutt you'd find at the pound, no offense. She just looks really bad. Her hair has wire undercoat and is CRAZY

While I can appreciate the dog groomers point of view, I shave my giant schnauzer about every 4 months. Believe me - he needs it. He is a farm dog who needs a nice coat once in a while (like winter) but seriously, the coat on a giant schnauzer never stops growing. I just took him in for a shave and he literally looked like a black sheep dog. He's much happier when his coat is short, but I do let it grow out in the winter.

BTW - he isn't shaved to the skin - but about as close as you can get and still appear black!
wink.png

I have seen many a pet border collie shaved right down to the skin and some very close to it. And the main reason behind it I hear "he sheds so much". If you wanted a dog that didn't shed, get one that doesn't shed or get a fish. I never have shaved my dogs and never will. Kiddy pools, hoses, ponds, the bay, etc. is all my dogs have ever needed to cool off before and after a hard day at work or even at play.

Last week I was at the dog park (I loathe them but we were out and one of the girls HAD to go potty and thankfully there was only one other dog there), now it has not been warm here except for 1 day, and here is this poor border collie shaved right down standing shivering. I just looked at it and shook my head - no coat, no nothing on it! The owner noticed and of course on seeing my girl comes out with, well you shaved your's at least a month ago. I had to laugh, called my Pearl girl back to show and said no, this is my wash and go border collie, I got a black tri one at home too. She asked how I got the coat so short to make it look natural. I laughed at her. I said it is natural, they are called smooth coats. Lots of info on line if you do a search. Didn't tell her that they shed like a Lab!

Quote:
That's horrible. Border collies are so pretty with their coats. My grandma is a groomer and was told to shave a pekingese. She couldn't do it. It was the day we have 5" of snow and she said it made no sense. The lady wanted everything shaved except the tail. I'm glad she didn't do it!

Back
Top Bottom