Permethrin dust, or spray are effective methods to kill mites, like all treatments, it must be repeated after a certain amount of times to cure the problem. Like within about 10 days after first treatment, I think.

Last edited:
I would strong advise researching DE. It works to a certain extent using it for a long long time. If you read the label and it states it "MAY" help with then states the pests. In legal terms you got to take it with a grain of salt. DE inhaled is damaging to the lungs. Theres others advising against ingesting it. Please research into more as my vet was the first one to tell me to stop using it.
HI!
I have been hearing conflicting evidence on whether DE works for controlling mites, lice, and worms and things of that sort, does it work or is it just a waste of money and if it doesn't work why is that?

Thanks!

Personally, it's not something I would use. I prefer Permethrin dust for birds and spray for housing.
I agree, do your research on the DE, there's a lot of info out there. A few folks seem to have success with using DE, but apply it every few days to stay on top of mites/lice and eradicate them. This most recent thread linked below, the OP has been successful, but do note that they have been applying DE directly to their birds every 1-3 days religiously so if you can make that part of your routine, then it may just work for you too. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fowl-mites-under-control.1505420/post-25277579

I would strong advise researching DE. It works to a certain extent using it for a long long time. If you read the label and it states it "MAY" help with then states the pests. In legal terms you got to take it with a grain of salt. DE inhaled is damaging to the lungs. Theres others advising against ingesting it. Please research into more as my vet was the first one to tell me to stop using it.
I guess you can compare it to flea medication for cats and dogs. You can go buy Adam's flea medication and it doesn't work. Or you can go to the vet and get Advantage and the fleas will be dead in 24 hours. Its out in the market and if you dont observe it 100% and assume it works off the bat you'll continue to trust it. I got some youn chicks off a lady I told her all the medications i have bought for mites lice and worming. She said she just uses de for dewormer. Well sure enough during quarantine one of the chicks pooped out a pile of live worms. A pea sized amount of safeguard horse de wormer and he was clear of worms in 48 hours. The riskes involved outweigh the benefits that DE or Sevin dust "May" provide.

Back
Top Bottom