Gearhead846

Am I bleeding?
Premium Feather Member
Dec 6, 2021
HI!
I have been hearing conflicting evidence on whether DE works for controlling mites, lice, and worms and things of that sort, does it work or is it just a waste of money and if it doesn't work why is that?

Thanks!

I tried it when I first started with chickens, based on all the things "people told me". I didn't find it effective on anything, frankly. Permethrin or Elector PSP are much more effective for lice/mites. It's completely useless for internal parasites, chemical wormers are more effective. If I have to treat something then I would rather spend my time and money on something that is actually going to work. There is also the chance that it may cause respiratory irritation, so for me, I do not spend money on it, I use the things that actually work.

HI!
I have been hearing conflicting evidence on whether DE works for controlling mites, lice, and worms and things of that sort, does it work or is it just a waste of money and if it doesn't work why is that?

Thanks!
Im in the midwest..i use it. For alot of things. My mom came home from a nursing facility with bedbugs..nuff said.
DE not only killed them, havent had them since. Now i feel they are the hardest of all to eradicate..and yes. Tried everythibg before i tried DE. So i became a believer. I however dont rely on only it. I use ACV in the water and i mix DE with ashes for their dust bath..every spring i hot wash coop and spray with Gordons Permethrin 10. Then after it dries, i Sprinkle DE in the coops cevices. I sprinkle DE in nest boxes, then layer dried mints, lavendar, a few bay leaves and some maple leaves.. i had a bad case of mites and put DE in a sock and powdered the flock with it..while covereing their head..its particles are fine and shouldnt be breathed in. I wear a mask while working with it. Others may have their opinions, but for the $ it cost and the ALL the things and benifits i have experienced. I find it well worth the monies and effort..Hope this helps...ill go into more details if you wish.
Photo is of my Chicken supply box😉

Attachments

• 20220108_184412.jpg
    20220108_184412.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 3
I would strong advise researching DE. It works to a certain extent using it for a long long time. If you read the label and it states it "MAY" help with then states the pests. In legal terms you got to take it with a grain of salt. DE inhaled is damaging to the lungs. Theres others advising against ingesting it. Please research into more as my vet was the first one to tell me to stop using it.
HI!

Thanks!

Personally, it's not something I would use. I prefer Permethrin dust for birds and spray for housing.
I agree, do your research on the DE, there's a lot of info out there. A few folks seem to have success with using DE, but apply it every few days to stay on top of mites/lice and eradicate them. This most recent thread linked below, the OP has been successful, but do note that they have been applying DE directly to their birds every 1-3 days religiously so if you can make that part of your routine, then it may just work for you too. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fowl-mites-under-control.1505420/post-25277579

It does help control adult lice and mites, but not eggs or pupae, so the cycle never breaks so not really worth it. Useless for internal purposes. Pyrethrine (poultry dust) is much more effective.

Then why do people buy it? And what is it used for then?
It's because they believe it actually rids external, & internal parasites.

The stuff is abrasive, but not sharp enough to cause actual damage to the exoskeletons of bugs. Also once wet it's also useless.

It is damaging to the lungs if inhaled, human, & birds.

Back
Top Bottom