Does eating chicken poo give dogs horrible breath?

sgtsalt79

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
We started free ranging our first little flock of chickens in the back yard about a month ago and recently we've noticed an unbearable stench coming from our 9-year-old shepherd/golden mix. At first we thought it was her anal gland (it smells that bad!) but it's definitely coming from her mouth.
Her breath is so strong I can smell it as soon as I walk in the house and I don't even want to be in the same room with her. Could this possibly be from eating chicken poop? Has anyone else experienced this problem? We haven't caught her in the act yet but wanted to eliminate this possibility before incurring a $50 vet bill to have her checked. Help!!

I had a dog that ate goose droppings, she had bad breath all the time. I even brushed her teeth and rinsed her mouth out, but every trip to the yard she looked for these droppings like they were treats.

I had some old antibiotics for her from the vet. I gave her one a day for four days and it killed the bacteria she had in her mouth.
I started keeping the geese locked up in my pond area, this solved the problem. I worry about my dog getting a fowl disease like h1n1 or what ever's going around, so I no longer let my dogs around my poultry yard.

Blah, if they don't eat chicken poo, they eat dog poo - I don't know which smells worse. But I would think it's nothing next to ripe anal glands .If your dog stinks so much, and she is an older canine, she could have rotten teeth or an oral abcess. I wouldn't give her "old" antibiotics especially since they weren't intended for stinky mouth.

After months of trying to kill the bad breath. I called my vet and he said there could be a bacterial infection going on, so I already had 6 month old antibiotics on hand, and what you know, 3 days later until present (2 years) no bad breath.

My dogs eat all kinds of poop for years and just have normal dog breath. If your dog's breath is that bad, you should have her seen. I'm also thinking an abscess or similar.

Back
Top Bottom