Does everybody do regular worming?

Quote:
No, you wont have to throw the eggs out but if you plan to use DE you will have to mix it in there feed every day for it to work right..
DE is more a preventive and not a actual wormier.

Chris

Alaska girl, good purchase on the DE!
My birds eat DE with their daily feed. A very small amount like an 1/8 teaspoon or less per bird per day. But it is their every time they eat. Things like DE, ACV, probiotics, garlic pumpkin seeds and a long list of other natural things build strong healthy birds, and act as an inhibitor for worms. You can eat your eggs with all these natural feeds.
With some luck one can end up like RANCHHAND, and have 18 years of raising chickens with no dewormers and no worms..
smile.png

ON

Thanks for the encouragement, I have the bag of flour and I put a teaspoon or two in with the jumbo feeder.

Quote:
I personally do not consider it a wormer. More or less a measure to make the internal environment of the chicken's guts less friendly to worms.
How does it fail when it is wet? Are you saying it looses it's microscopic sharpness? Obviously it looses its ability to dry when wet, which is how I understand it works on mites and so forth by drying them out, not so much cutting them.

I envision DE as being microscopic razor blades that can cut soft bodied creatures such as parasitic worms. Not killing all of them, but making them less than comfortable.

ON

DE is not an inhibator for worms (as you previously stated,) why feed it to them when the chickens innards are wet? It's the same effect as eating sand. The companies that produce DE will tell you it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, just for a sale. The pixie dust is hyped. Ask your vet, or a doctor if you dont believe me. Been there done that.

We keep the Wazine and Eprinex on hand but, in five years, have had no cause to use either

Organics North wrote: I envision DE as being microscopic razor blades that can cut soft bodied creatures such as parasitic worms. Not killing all of them, but making them less than comfortable.

That's not quite how it works externally, on insects, and am still waiting for a clear explanation of how it would do anything to internal parasites:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295586&p=1

Check the link to broiler performance with DE as a food additive (not related to worming).​

Last edited:
Quote:
That's not quite how it works externally, on insects, and am still waiting for a clear explanation of how it would do anything to internal parasites:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295586&p=1

Check the link to broiler performance with DE as a food additive (not related to worming).

Interesting thread..Thanks.....
caf.gif

dawg53; DE is not an inhibator for worms (as you previously stated,) why feed it to them when the chickens innards are wet? It's the same effect as eating sand. The companies that produce DE will tell you it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, just for a sale. The pixie dust is hyped. Ask your vet, or a doctor if you dont believe me. Been there done that.

You could very well be right......However it is dirt cheap, like $14 per 50lbs.. I personally am extremely skeptical of western medical practices in general, so I will pass on asking a vet on this one.
wink.png

Me.. I see this as pretty cheap pixie dust..That can not hurt. I feel a lot is to be said for pixie dust in general, it represents remedies we may have forgotten, or bio chemical mechanics we do not understand yet..

Be well
ON​

ACV is an acidifier which helps in calcium absorption and lower gut ph (to help with bacterial issues,) it doesnt help in worm management. I use it daily in my chickens water.

Back
Top Bottom