Does HawkStopper netting actually work?

WingsysRoost

Crowing
Nov 8, 2022
I have been dealing with a large Red-tailed Hawk that passes by the coop at least once a day for the last week or so. Previously, it did nothing other than fly past, but it actually swooped down this morning as the chickens were free ranging. It didn't care at all that I was outside, either.

I'm not sure if it was actually trying to catch a chicken or if it was trying for one of the smaller birds that were in the garden, but either way, I need to figure out a solution quickly so that it doesn't get one of my chickens.

I could confine them, but the run is really too small to do that long-term. An extension is in progress, but it won't be complete until next spring at the earliest.

I was looking around for solutions and I found HawkStopper netting. This stuff: https://www.predatorpeestore.com/hawk-stopper.html

Has anyone had any experience with this, good or bad? Thanks in advance!

Heavy duty knotted netting with 85 lb breaking strength is the best. That's the breaking strength per strand. When weight is distributed over an area it can support much more. Stromberg is a safe bet but you can buy the same stuff with no name for a bit less. Two-inch mesh will keep out a hawk but let tweety birds in. Oe insh mesh will keep tweety birds out but let mice in.

You can get two-inch woven netting for much less. Woven mesh might be torn by a falling branch, but will hold up to a hawk.

The expanded netting that is single strand is really cheap and will not last for long. But, it should survive the first attack.

I have been dealing with a large Red-tailed Hawk that passes by the coop at least once a day for the last week or so. Previously, it did nothing other than fly past, but it actually swooped down this morning as the chickens were free ranging. It didn't care at all that I was outside, either.

I'm not sure if it was actually trying to catch a chicken or if it was trying for one of the smaller birds that were in the garden, but either way, I need to figure out a solution quickly so that it doesn't get one of my chickens.

I could confine them, but the run is really too small to do that long-term. An extension is in progress, but it won't be complete until next spring at the earliest.

I was looking around for solutions and I found HawkStopper netting. This stuff: https://www.predatorpeestore.com/hawk-stopper.html

Has anyone had any experience with this, good or bad? Thanks in advance!
YES, IT WORKS, I covered my 14 X 60 foot run with it in early May this year, So far I have only seen 2 Red Tails and they never even got real close, they turned and flew off. I got mine from Amazon and the netting is maybe a little smaller than 2 inch chicken wire. I put it on with wire ties so if it and when a limb falls on it I can use the wire ties to tighten it back up. But yes, it works and I most highly recommend it.

And the mesh is pretty small? I looked up one of their products, and the mesh size was 5"x7", which is too large for my liking. I will see if I can find one with smaller mesh. I also have Coopers hawks, which would fly right through large mesh. I like the "reflectiveness" of this product, though. And the price. I'm building a 40'x40' enclosure that I'm planning to cover. I am intrigued....
I'll measure it tomorrow and re-post it for you, but it's small mesh not 5 X 7

Back
Top Bottom